Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good, but cheap 1TB external hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, but cheap 1TB external hard drive?

It's come that time where I'm down to my last couple of gigs of space, and I've greatly considered getting a 1TB external hard drive. I've been searching for one that ranges from $100 to $150, or around that area. Sadly, I cannot find one that doesn't come with a bunch of bad reviews. The other day I found myself checking out the Best Buy catalog that comes with my Sunday paper. In it I saw an ad for the Seagate - FreeAgent Desk 1TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive. I looked it up on the Best Buy website (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218004429317) and found it came with an extensive amount of complaints by customers. Instead of listening to the customers, who, frankly, I don't trust, I would like to listen to your opinions on whether or not this would be a good purchase or if anyone knows any other external hard drives fitting the requirements of being between my price range (or a little bit higher [but just a little]), is 1TB, and is dependable, then please let me know.

Edit:
    I also found another one that looked nice: Western Digital - My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1185271084278.
    |TG| HolyEnd

Re: Good, but cheap 1TB external hard drive?

Dunno anything about those, but I came across earlier:

Western Digital Element $89.99 Its got 358 reviews and seems like people like it.

The drives you linked to:

The first one runs at 5400 rpm, so it'll be a little slower in read/writes.

Comment

That looks good. I'll do a little more research on it.
      |TG| HolyEnd

Comment

I have a WD MyBook 500GB and like it. It does just what I need it to do....store files. I can watch movies from it just fine.

You can always buy a harddrive and an external case and make your own. :)

Comment

lol Yeah. I was thinking about doing that. Seems like it could be quite a bit cheaper (from what my friend told me). The only issue I have with all harddrives is when they stop working. I don't really care about the speed or anything else really; I just don't want to lose my files.
          |TG| HolyEnd

Comment

I put a 1TB SATA in one of these enclosures: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371014

They go on sale for $15 all the time and that way you can just throw whatever HDD you want in there.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Holy View Post
              I just don't want to lose my files.
              Use one of the online backup services:

Carbonite
              Mozy

Comment

The only problem I have with online backup services is their reliability.
                |TG| HolyEnd

Comment

Mozy has been rock solid for me. I've never heard of any reliability problems. But it's specifically for backup, it can't really be used like a network drive. Way too slow...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

i bought my dad a seagate free agent 1 TB and it works great for him

Comment

I have a 1tb free agent I picked up from OfficeMax on sale a few months back for $99. So far no issues at all. Just be careful with SeaGate right now because half of their drives have a five year warranty (like mine) and half only have a two year, but many places sell them as the 'same' thing.

I'll be honest the reason I went with the SeaGate was because it had the five year warranty. Any company willing to put that on their drives is confident in their performance, plus I've had good results from them in the past, so icing on the cake if you will.

~ Draken

EDIT: the same drive available at New Egg with a 4 out of 5... I trust New Egg's reviews a LOT more then Best Buy's

Comment

I bought an external hard drive( Maxtor OneTouch) the other day and it turns out it doesn't work for 64 bit operating systems. Is this this norm with external hard drives or did I happen to fall into a trap? Also can someone point to me an external hard drive that works for 64 bit operating system.. more specifically Windows XP 64 bit.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                          I have a 1tb free agent I picked up from OfficeMax on sale a few months back for $99. So far no issues at all. Just be careful with SeaGate right now because half of their drives have a five year warranty (like mine) and half only have a two year, but many places sell them as the 'same' thing.

I'll be honest the reason I went with the SeaGate was because it had the five year warranty. Any company willing to put that on their drives is confident in their performance, plus I've had good results from them in the past, so icing on the cake if you will.

~ Draken

EDIT: the same drive available at New Egg with a 4 out of 5... I trust New Egg's reviews a LOT more then Best Buy's
                          Hmm, I thought every HDD was covered by a 3 year warranty now (versus the old 5 year warranty). When did they drop the 3 years to 2 years?

@Blackmain

Get a refund for your drive. It's most likely a issue with the hard drive and/or enclosure. I'd also stay away from Maxtor unless you like the idea of having a paperweight before the warranty expires. Go with Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, or Toshiba if you have to get a drive. Primarily, you'll be choosing between Seagate and Western Digital as their external hard drives a lot more prevalent in the U.S. market than the other brands.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hard drive plus custom enclosure is the way to go. This way you can upgrade easily and enclosures last till they change Hard Drive size standards.

Seagate all the way IMO. I have 2 in my machine and they run superbly.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
                              I bought an external hard drive( Maxtor OneTouch) the other day and it turns out it doesn't work for 64 bit operating systems. Is this this norm with external hard drives or did I happen to fall into a trap? Also can someone point to me an external hard drive that works for 64 bit operating system.. more specifically Windows XP 64 bit.
                              I don't see how a simple drive itself would have incompatibility issues with a 64 bit operating system since it still writes 1s and 0s (such as a plain old USB drive). It's not like you have to buy a 64 bit compatible internal hard drive.

The name OneTouch makes me think it is 'automatic' or has additional features and would likely have additional software installation required which could be an issue. Does the drive not show when plugged in, give you a driver error or some other kind of feedback? Are you just not able to use the extra tools (like one touch backup?) while still being able to read and write to the drive manually? If it has it's own executable software do you have an option to run it as 32 bit instead?
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X