overclocking safe temps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking safe temps

i have been messing around with OC'ing my cpu.

i have a q6600 kentsfield stock at 2.4. i now have it at 3.00

before when i had it @ 2.8 my idle temps stayed right around 48-50 and when i played games never rose above 65. now with the new OC, my idle temps hover at 52-57 and when i play games the temp hovers around 70-75.

my question is this: are those safe temps to have while gaming or should i knock it down a little and wait for water cooling to try anything else?

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: overclocking safe temps

What cooler are you using? You should try to stay below 60C with that chip at full load.
    sigpic

Comment

you guys are going to flame me but im using a DIY cooler. i have a stock Intel cooler. then the side panel for my case has a circular air vent that i super glued another CPU cooler so it blows in-line with the main one that is attached to the heatsink.

i know sounds janky.... but it looks alright i can post a link for the photo if you want. but how bad is it that it stays at (65-70) that temp??

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I would like to see a pic of that.

I've got some huge ZeroThem cooler on my Kentsfield usually with the fan going at 100%. I never see temps above 41 C but then it's at stock temps.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'd like to see pics but your processor isn't going to last as long if you keep using that setup and trying to overclock. I was doing some poking around online and according to Intel, the max safe temperature for your processor is 62C. If I were you, I'd drop a few bucks on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and a retention bracket and save yourself a huge headache down the road.
          sigpic

Comment

here is a pic of my case closed

and here is the DIY cooler

and another one

Comment

I have the exact same cpu as you, also overclocked to 3.0ghz and my temps are little bit cooler than yours. I do have an aftermarket cooler, the Tuniq Tower 120. These are temps at idle. I haven't yet checked them while gaming. You might want to look into buying an aftermarket cooler.

Comment

The "safe" temperature threshold will depend on on the stepping of your chip.

B3 - 62.2C
                G0 - 71C

If you are seeing 75 playing games I would consider an after market cooler. Especially since other apps may stress your processor more, since I doubt the games are stressing it to the max.

Not that these fine people here can't or won't help you, but I recommend overclock.net for your ocing needs. I learned a great deal there when I started overclocking.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

thanks for the help. since i need a new cooler and i am in the market for one. i really want to go water so that i can run a hose to the GPU as well. does anyone know anything about this subject there or does anyone here at TG use water cooling?

i guess my next question is that IF i went water cooling, could i refrigerate my coolant? almost like a refrigerator or is that even possible?

Comment

i want to know this one too.. since i'm going to try water cooling...
                    If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

You should download SpeedFan and let it record data on its graph while you gaming, then you should be able to see how hot it get and how long it stays like that, but 75c is danger area would i say.

Im running a intel e6750 overclocked from 2.66 to 3.2 ghz, max temp is at 64c... and im using an intel fan, and couple of 120mm fans on the case...

however I dont know if your board came with any programs like my asus did.. such as a monitoring system and AIsuite which controls the CPU and optimizes it... all this crap is bad... my CPU would run 78c non clocked because of these programs over****ing it and mess with CPU fan speed.

Check these links and charts out
                      http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/in...13375.0%3Bwap2

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...mperature.html
                      and this guy says/replies that q6600 should not exceed 70c as the 71c is the max it can take....

So you are melting your CPU, get a new fan and themal paste from newegg.com

I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134 (if you fast you can get $10 off and free shipping ONLY TODAY) though check if it fits, since its a LGA775

*Edit*

Check that case fan if its blowing the right way.... because if mine gets too little power they reverse.....
                      Mat0!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                        thanks for the help. since i need a new cooler and i am in the market for one. i really want to go water so that i can run a hose to the GPU as well. does anyone know anything about this subject there or does anyone here at TG use water cooling?

i guess my next question is that IF i went water cooling, could i refrigerate my coolant? almost like a refrigerator or is that even possible?
                        Water cooling is a good way to fry your computer if you're not really careful. Just remember that when doing water cooling that you're pumping water and ionized water is conductive. Water cooling is expensive too.

And regarding refrigerating, that's what Phase Change cooling is. You have a coolant gas that is pumped through a compressor compressing it to a liquid, as it is pumped through an expansion area over the CPU it evaporates pulling out the heat. Same way refrigerators and freezers work. Not exactly the same thing as cooling water but that would probably not be a great idea since cold water running through the pipes would most likely condense the water from the air introducing more humidity into your system.

But before jumping on all that I would reevaluate your system as it is. I have the stock CPU fan for my E6600 and my core temps stay below 60 on load. That massive tube you have running from the CPU fan out of your system might be a problem. If it was just connecting the CPU fan to quickly outside the case I wouldn't see much problem, however you have a second fan there. The two fans could be causing problems as they create turbulence against each other and pushing more hot air then you want back into your system. I would try disconnecting that second fan and checking temps again. I once put a side fan on my system and it caused my temperature to go up, not down as I was expecting.

Comment

thanks to all who are giving their ideas. i do run speedfan and i will record what temps i get when i play games.

i know water is expensive but if you go the route of individually picking the items in the cooling system would you get a better result? i know that it would be more expensive than a kit would be but then i could hand pick what i want and get good quality eliminating some of the failure possible.

Comment

just found this link about a refrigerated case...... not to bad, but look at the price

Comment

Is your cpu fan blowing air onto the cpu or extracting it from the cpu?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X