Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The Desktop PC Dead?

Is The Desktop PC Dead?

Interesting article on LifeHacker. As gamers, I'm sure everyone here as something interesting to say on this.

Re: Is The Desktop PC Dead?

The widest screen I've seen on a portable system is 17". When you want to display a lot of data, you want a big screen, one too big to be "portable". (Mine is a 25.5", running 1920x1200.)

For input, I can't handle a touchpad or trackball. And I need some desk real estate for a mouse, even though I have the sensitivity set pretty high to minimize needed movement.

I'm a touch typist, so I insist on a good keyboard, and that's yet more space. When I travel, I bring a real keyboard to plug into my laptop once I get to my hotel.

The size of the CPU cabinet depends on what you put in it. Mobile systems will be constrained on performance and memory to deal with space and temperature issues. Web browsing and email don't take a lot of performance, nor even does simple video watching. But games take a lot of power and memory and hence heat, and a mobile cabinet can't accomodate that. Some business users will have similar applications like numerical modeling and simulations.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I don't see the Desktop PC going anywhere. Hardware manufacturers such as AMD, Nvidia, Intel and the various pc case, RAM and motherboard makers make most of their money off the desktop hardware. I definitely disagree with the Gizmodo article.

Comment

It will only "die" when things don't take up space. Or take up tiny, tiny amounts of space.

Additional hard drives, bigger and dual video cards, tv tuners etc. need space portable computers just don't have.

Now I do think the days of desktops being the primary sellers are gone forever.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          Now I do think the days of desktops being the primary sellers are gone forever.
          I'd agree with that. Most people are not gamers, and a "mainstream" game like WoW runs fine on a laptop.

The market for desktops is going to be primarily power gamers, photo and video authors, and CAD users.

The bad thing about this (for us) is that the price of desktop components is gonna shoot up as the volume drops.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Things will get a lot smaller for sure, but as long as there are desks, there will be physical desktops with monitors and keyboards on them... and a case tucked away somewhere.

System architectures, boards, and chipsets will all converge. Just look at what's on a motherboard today - integrated sound card, integrated network card, integrated video. How long before a board comes along that adds on-board SSD storage, RAM, and low-power [DX11] GPU and [quad core] CPU?

Comment

The power problem for the main unit is going to be a hard one to solve. Perhaps vapor-phase cooling will come down in price enough to be practical for widespread development. If your computer is a sealed unit (like a modern car engine), then vapor phase might be a good solution.

What do we do about displays? I'd think a headset presenting a virtual 30 inch display might be the way to go. If it can also go transparent, we can project the image against the real world to use as a full-time HUD.

I've seen glasses on tech sites that use a laser mounted on the frame to "paint" the image directly on the retina. (Just lab stuff, nothing in production.)

Comment

Yes, sure, there are efficiencies of scale that will drive laptop prices down more. But the reality is that components can be made

a) cheaper
                b) more powerful
                c) more modular

when they don't have to also be miniaturized and designed for the constant low-intensity (and occasional high-intensity) shocks of movement.

Will the desktop lose its disproportionate market share? Sure. But honestly, there's not much difference between the economies of scale in producing 10M units of a processor and 12M. The manufacturing company might do better, but I doubt the consumer price would see much of a change.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                --BlackMirror
                <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X