Internet Explorer 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 8

Well Microsoft has launched some ads promoting stuff on their new Internet Explorer 8! Hurray...

I find this one quite amusing... but be aware.. its not for weak stomachs...

O.M.G.I.G.P
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9Mjm-Hohc[/media]
    Mat0!

Re: Internet Explorer 8

what the

Comment

That was gross. I'm definitely sticking with Fire Fox now, at least their mascot is cute.

Comment

Looks like there's more in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ie8videos
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I find the ads both amusing and sad. They're hip and surreal, but they don't really give me any reason to choose IE over the competition, just IE8 over IE6. It's like, "we messed up and we want another chance".

[BTW, can a moderator move this thread to the Hardware and Software forum, with all the other threads about browsers?]

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            I find the ads both amusing and sad. They're hip and surreal, but they don't really give me any reason to choose IE over the competition, just IE8 over IE6. It's like, "we messed up and we want another chance".

[BTW, can a moderator move this thread to the Hardware and Software forum, with all the other threads about browsers?]
            If you are a geek then there isn't. But if you are ignorant of those kinds of things then it might work.

The question is would a person ignorant of such things find that commercial "hip and surreal" or just "what is wrong with America"?
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I quited using IE at the 7th version and as usual the new IE8 is just ****... I never in my life seen more crashes... my parents cant run it because they constantly crash over a new tab or a pop up....
              Mat0!

Comment

I use all four. Because I develop web applications I have to.

Going down the list my experiences.

Google Chrome. The best running of them and I almost never see a crash. Of course it doesn't do anything, including the google toolbar, so I don't use it.

IE8 and FF 3. About equal. FF actually, over time, always seems to be taking up more memory and I use IE for my netflix and hulu video playing. I use FF for TG and other forum browsing because of the inline spell checking. They crash about equally, about twice a week each.

Safari for windows. Only when I have to test the site so I don't know much about it. Just seems slow and cluncky.

Overall IE8 I like because of better support for silverlight
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I FF all the time, even with netflix and hulu.

Knock on wood, I've been very lucky when it comes to vista, FF, and most other software/hardware. I hardly ever have any crashes and I don't think FF has crashed on me. I'm sure it has, its just been so long I don't remember it.

Comment

I <3 chrome
                    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

If you're a web developer, why not stay with IE6, instead up upgrading to IE7 or 8? They're not supposed to be installable at the same time on the same machine, so you'd need to have some dinosaur machine otherwise to test that your website looks right on Corporate America's machines. (Many are stuck on IE6 due to internally-written apps that don't work on later versions.)

Comment

I can vouch for that. I work at an insurance company whose processing system (which up until last year used a telnet program to connect to a very old system for system entry) just "upgraded" to a web-based entry system designed to work on IE6. Yikes.
                        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                        -- Red Forman

Comment

Red, check out my post from the other day:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...lorer-6-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            If you're a web developer, why not stay with IE6, instead up upgrading to IE7 or 8? They're not supposed to be installable at the same time on the same machine, so you'd need to have some dinosaur machine otherwise to test that your website looks right on Corporate America's machines. (Many are stuck on IE6 due to internally-written apps that don't work on later versions.)
                            We only support IE7 or greater (soon to only be IE8), FF 3 or greater, Latest Safari for mac and win. Technically we don't support chrome but I check it just to make sure.

I hope I never have to support older browsers. I know a guy who has to support IE4 or some crazy thing and the netscape browser. Ah the humanity!

Comment

So do you not have clients whose customers are big glacial corporations still running IE6? My worry in creating a company website is that the customers are using IE6 and won't see it correctly.

Have you deployed any SVG yet? I'd love to have vector art that stays crisp with resizing, but the level of support for it remains very uneven and even Mozilla is buggy. (Support for scaling SVG is iffy, and versatile scaling is kinda the whole point of using it.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X