A New Home PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Home PC

Hey guys. My families old Pentium 4 rig's motherboard fried, and I've been looking into getting a new one. My parents each have laptops from work, while I have my netbook and my desktop. We are looking for a desktop for no more then $800. We are considering refurbished computers.

The computer would be used for general surfing, but acts as a sort of server

Here are some specs I whipped together if I were to built it:

-Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    -GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    -CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail
    -AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail
    -G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail
    -Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    -Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM (This comes with an upgrade coupon free)

I would reuse:

-ATI Radeon 3600 1GB
    -A Samsung DVD Drive (pretty new, I replaced it a year or two ago)

This would run me $748.93 on Newegg which is extremely acceptable.

All desktops are being considered, but this thing should last. Even though it is not doing too much heavy lifting, it should be outdated in just a year or two.

I've been looking at AMD simply because it is cheaper. Any thoughts?

Re: A New Home PC

Looks good but you could probably even reduce the price by going tri-core instead of quad-core.

Comment

If it's just for casual use you could just get buy a prebuilt one for ~$500-$600 and not have to worry about building it/RMAs, etc....

Comment

If it's just a server or for browsing, you don't need lots of horsepower. Don't even worry about multicore on a "server" unless it's doing a lot of real server work. (Mine's scanning mail for viruses and spam, so it needs the additional horsepower, but if it were just a fileserver, I wouldn't bother with multicore.)

Unless the case and PSU are a problem, just replace the guts and call it done. You can slowly replace other bits in the future if you want. Don't overclock and even run the system a little conservative to make it even more stable and use less power. If you're not running games or number-crunching, you won't notice it being significantly slower.

Consider putting served files on an external USB drive. USB2 is plenty fast for that and you can easily back it up to a second drive that you keep in the safe.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Pre-built is being considered mostly due to ease. The case is a really really old Dell case and is falling apart.

Comment

I would look at AM3 rather than the AM2+ based boards just incase you want to upgrade in the future, as only AM2/AM2+ processors will work with the AM2+ boards and the newer more powerful AM3 processors wont, you can still get a reasonable AM3 processor (similar to that AM2+ model) for the same price.

Comment

For $350 this should take care of all your needs. If your like me and enjoy building then pre-built is not the way to go.

Vista 64, Pentium E5200 2.5GHz CPU, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Lightscribe DVDRW

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=p6110t_series

Comment

Beat, here's a thought.

Unless you plan to game, or run some sort of hypervisor for server virtualization, a dual-core CPU will save you some money over a quad-core.

Your motherboard selection has SATA RAID0/1/5 built in. If you plan to use the server as any sort of file storage place, get a second hard drive and build a mirrored set to protect yourself against disk failure. If you want to get really crazy (and if your case can handle it) get a third disk and create a RAID5 set.

You can never... ever... ever... have enough disk space.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

RAID5 is only good for keeping the server going when one drive fails. It's not a backup system, and if you can tolerate downtime and loss of files since the last backup, you may be better off using that extra drive as a swappable external mirror. As an external drive, it has its own cooling and power, so the main PSU and fans won't be responsible for it.

I'm running out of disk space on my desktop system, so I bought a 500 GB USB2 drive and moved all my games and development directories to it. Only the OS and traditional apps are on the main internal drive now. I can easily mirror the external drive and can move it to a new machine pretty painlessly.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X