Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Upgrade Editions Will Require an Activated Copy for Verification Each Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Upgrade Editions Will Require an Activated Copy for Verification Each Time

This isn't good news, and may turn around later, but if true might cause some of you to cancel your Win7 preorder

One of the questions that we couldn’t answer at the time however, was how Windows 7 would handle the verification process to ensure that you were eligible to update. In Windows XP upgrade editions, you simply needed to insert an older install disk. Vista upped the ante considerably by requiring you to have a previous version installed (no activation required). Windows 7 on the other hand, will now require an activated previous version to be installed and not even the workaround found in the Vista version will be permitted.

Windows 7 Upgrade Editions Will Require an Activated Copy for Verification Each Time its Installed

Also, here are a couple more Win7 links from the past few days:
    Windows 7 Feature Focus: Networking and Homegroups

Windows 7 Upgrade Guide: All Your Questions Answered

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade Editions Will Require an Activated Copy for Verification Each T

The only good news I learned from all of this, is that the Windows 7 RC will serve as a qualifying previous version
    Gives me VERY good reason to actually install the RC I got awhile ago.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade Editions Will Require an Activated Copy for Verification Each T

The only good news I learned from all of this, is that the Windows 7 RC will serve as a qualifying previous version (assuming of course that it’s activated)
      How do you activate the RC though? And I wonder how that will work once the RC expires.

Comment

The higher the price, the more incentive to choose a competitor. Bring it on, Microsoft! :D
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          How do you activate the RC though? And I wonder how that will work once the RC expires.
          It activates automatically, and it won't. You'll have to install a copy of XP or vista each time you want to reinstall.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

So...I'm confused. is WIN 7 basically XP dressed up?...

To do a fresh install you install 2 OS's ...huh???

What does that mean for me who has xp pro 32 bit edition. Will I be able to install WIN 7 64 as I've been planning?
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              So...I'm confused. is WIN 7 basically XP dressed up?...

To do a fresh install you install 2 OS's ...huh???

What does that mean for me who has xp pro 32 bit edition. Will I be able to install WIN 7 64 as I've been planning?

No nothing, and yes. In that order.

Windows 7 is a new Operating system, nothing to do with XP/Vista other than sharing the Windows name. There is a deal going on where you can get an UPGRADE copy of Windows 7. UPGRADE copies require you have a previous version of windows installed before they will let you install Windows 7. You can upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to Win7 x64. Your old OS will be deleted, it just has to exist for the UPGRADE copy to install. That's the catch to paying less for an UPGRADE version of Win7.

If you buy a retail or an OEM after release you'll be able to install straight from the disc like normal.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I doubt that Win7 is a complete rewrite. So in that sense it's "XP/Vista" dressed up. More features and hopefully fewer bugs. Or fewer bugs in the parts carried forward from previous versions, but possibly more bugs in the new parts.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Installing XP is less than 30 minutes. If you ever needed to do it, install, do not update, activate, install W7 again.

You could always install the W7 upgrade to another partition or another disk, or do an image of your activated W7 upgrade and restore it instead of re-installing.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Let me get this straight: if I need to install Win 7 again, I need to reinstall Vista? And will there be an issue with me going from Vista Ultimate to Vista Home Premium? Great. If someone could answer, this could mean me canceling my Windows 7 pre-order.

Comment

beat it's only if you are buying an upgrade copy. It will mean you need to install an activated full copy of the previous OS to install windows 7 upgrade.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                        beat it's only if you are buying an upgrade copy. It will mean you need to install an activated full copy of the previous OS to install windows 7 upgrade.
                        Ah good. I might go for the full then.

Comment

btw, this if not an issue if you are 'upgrading' from 32bit to 64bit. you will be able to clean install and just enter the code for the 32bit xp or vista (which makes that keycode invalid) but then the win7 upgrade can now function like a full version....

doesn't everyone have an xp coa laying around?
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I know I don't have XP laying around
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                              I know I don't have XP laying around
                              same here. Although I may now that my old laptop seems to be kicking the bucket.....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X