Worth the upgrade???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth the upgrade???

I presently have a Radeon saphire 9800 pro + Arctic cooler overclocked to XT speeds -i am thinking of upgrading to a XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB due to the price drops on these cards - they are also good overclockers, does any1 think it would be worth the upgrade at this point in time.
    [defense]

Re: Worth the upgrade???

I would look at the type of mobo you have. If you plan on getting a new mobo in the near future, possibly with SLI capabilities, you may want to wait on a new graphics card... one that can run in SLI mode. Of course that assumes you might want to purchase an additional graphics card to do that.

EDIT:
    Are there any games you can't run in the graphics mode you want? I would wait until there is a game that drives you to need a newer card.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Have to agree with Asch. Wait as long as possible then move up two steps instead of one. I just upgraded to the 6600gt and I am very happy with it,but I looked at the 6800 and a few others with 256 before my wallet slapped me back into reality. Had a Geforce4 4200 that I nursed along till the fan noise made the neighbors complain.

Sheriff is correct in pointing out the easy overclock features. Ran the auto detect safe speed feature and its running at 585mhz in 3d mode and the mem clock jumped to 1073mhz. Think it came at 500mhz and 600mhz, but I'm not sure. Use the cool bits program if you do it, it came with some auto ranges of overclock... 10%, 20% ect tabs.

Couldnt justify and new mobo to get on the pci express bandwagon... yet. Longer you can hold out the less you'll upgrade later.
      "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Comment

A new card is tempting, but if you can run your games smoothly and at good setting hold on to that card as long as you can. Patience is worth it.

Comment

I upgraded my motherboard just before Xmas - got a good deal on a Asus P4P800- Deluxe - its runs smooth with my P4 Northwood + clocked to 3.6. Im not thinking of going A64 with a 939Sli until next year when prices will hopefully drop a little, even though my games run smooth on my 9800pro now is it worth selling as the prices on them seem pretty stable and this would also help with the cost of a newer card. What I really need to know - is the performance increase of the GeForce 6600 GT 128MB over the 9800pro worth the upgrade for the next 12 month period and in 12 months would I get a decent price 2nd hand for this card as AGP seems to be on the way out eventually.

Many Thanks
          [defense]

Comment

Dont think the video performance change would be enough. Just my .02$

Also running a Asus

Asus P4c800-e
            P4 3.0 running at 3.3<--- got to last me awhile, to chicken to push it
            "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X