Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on new gaming rig

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on a new system. I'm still up in the air on whether I should just buy one from ibuypower.com or try and build one. I'm leaning toward building one because of the money that can be saved, even though I have never done it before.

I know that I was and intel core i7 920, an evga nvidia gtx 280 2g, and 4-6gb of DDR3 ram. Beyond that however I have no idea what to get as far as the motherboard, power supply and such. I would like to keep it in the $1500~ range and it's difficult when I'm looking through newegg because I'm not entirely sure what everything means.

I would also like it to be somewhat future proof so that I can upgrade the processor in the future and possibly add in a second video card. Is liquid cooling worth it? It gets pretty hot where I am and I don't always use the air conditioner to save money. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fiddlestx

edit* .. what version of windows would you suggest?

Re: Need advice on new gaming rig

With $1500 you could easily build a very powerful computer, probably more than necessary. If you want to future-proof your rig, don't buy the most expensive stuff. Buy two or three steps down and save the rest of your money to upgrade later. For the money, upgrading often with mid-range hardware always beats buying the top-line stuff and trying to stretch its life to 4 years.

If you're not going to overclock (and there's not much reason to), then liquid cooling is an unnecessary expense.

A second video card is unnecessary unless you're running some extremely high resolutions. Even then, it's probably better to save that money for an earlier upgrade.

I don't think there is a GTX 280 with 2GB RAM. But the GTX 285s with 2GB of RAM are all in the $400 range. If I had $400 to spend on a video card, I'd buy a $200 one now and save the other $200 for an upgrade in 2 years. That should give me a better overall level of performance versus holding on to a single $400 card for 4 years.

Comment

Every time I've tried to future proof my rig I get screwed... 8 or so years ago I get an Athlon XP for Socket 754. Then the next upgrade changes sockets, then another socket change, so I had that XP until I bought my Core2Duo right when it came out, could've upgraded but was broke, so now i7 920... Worse was with video cards... Had Radeon 9600 with that Athlon, next upgrade... pcie. Get a X1900 with the core2duo. Next upgrade, pcie2.0. I never win with waiting and planning to upgrade, it always turns into needing a new one of everything anyways.

So now my advice is to actually go with the best possible at the time without breaking the bank. Bear with it through it's "slow" 3rd or 4th year and get a whole new system after that. Things will still run in 4 years, they just wont be running at max settings. But remember that low settings 4 years in the future will look like(actually better) max settings on current games. My X1900 played ArmA2 and Crysis, etc. on low settings and it I still have it with my i7 since I'm waiting until fall to get a new video card. So really, just remember if you buy cheap and plan to upgrade you can get screwed since things in the future may not be compatible(or just not really worth it) with stuff now.

edit: oh, for windows I'd suggest getting Microsofts "buy Vista now, get Windows 7 for free" thing. And make sure it's 64 bit or that 4-6 gigs of ram will be useless. And I'd recommend 6 gigs if you hate closing windows or applications(like me). And since you'll have to get DDR3 for the i7 they sell them in sets of three now(though so far three channel has no noticable improvement over using DDR3 in 2 channel mode). Vista(and probably windows 7 too) will take up the first 1-2 gigs of it anyways, so you need that buffer room, vista runs absolutely abysmal(in my opinion) with only 2 gigs of ram...

Comment

Here is an excellent thread on this very issue Posted by our own ARMA admin Bamboo.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...cs-advice.html

I say build your own--absolutely. It's not as hard as you think and once you do the first one you'll never buy a pre assembled machine again. Trust me on that.

I7 is the next greatest thing but the hardware is very expensive and there is an I5 version coming out later this year that will supposedly use still another skt configuration??

I just did a new build about three weeks ago. I was looking at holding off till the fall and going with an I5 rig but when Windows offered the half price deal on WIN 7 upgrades I pulled the trigger. I went with a quad core Intel (Q9550) that is close to the top of the line in ghz but about $100 less than it's next highest cousin the Q9650. This again was based on Bamboos comments about OC ability and now I've got her running rock solid at 3.5ghz. Also a new MOBO and DDR2 Ram was necessary due to the skt change. In the spring I picked up a EVGA GTX 280 for a song. She drew so much power I was having random shutdowns so I had to upgrade to a nice Corsair 750 W modular power supply (also on Bamboos suggestion !)

I generally buy components that are near the top of the line but have matured in their product cycle. I run my machine as is for three years then do a complete upgrade, starting all over again.

Up till a couple of weeks ago I had been operating a AMD X24800+ dual core cpu and the jump to the intel Quad core is quite an improvement in technology and performance compared to the rig I did have . Despite the skt 775 being at the end of its life the jump up to intel and the inherent benefits will keep me sated for the next three years.

There was another important factor in this choice--I'm all about ARMA 2 and I had a theory that ARMA 2 was probably developed using using Intel core 2 duo or Quad core technology. I felt going with intel and skt 775 now may help iron out unpredicted issues. It worked !! I'm getting between 30-80 fps on most maps with high/very high settings and a 4000 km view distance. I'm very pleased with my new rig.

As I'm sure you will be as well. You came to the right place. Lots of excellent computer guys in the TG community. Don't be afraid to take the plunge there are plenty of people who'd be glad to help you sort things out if you need sorting.

Good luck.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Ok, so i did some snooping around newegg and there are some really sweet package deals. As far as liquid cooling goes I have have every intention of overclocking the i7 past 3.5 ghz a review on toms hardware states that you can easily get to 3.8 on air cooling. Thank you for the advice guys, i'm sure that there will be more questions :)

Comment

If you want liquid cooling check this out at microcenter.com (Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Plus Liquid Cooling Kit
            SKU: 036871

Usually ships in 5-7 business days.
            $399.99

Comment

To be honest liquid cooling is more of a pain then anything else. I suppose if you want to have the 'edge' go for it, but I would rather have portability. If I want to grab my rig and go to a LAN party or something I don't want to have to worry about springing a leak...

~ Draken

Comment

I just spent 1200 on a upgrade.
                I got the

MSI X58 Pro motherboard
                I7 920 ( with stock cooler I can get it to 3.5 easy)
                6 Gb of DDR3 OCZ ram
                Corsair 750 Watt power supply
                EVGA Geforce GTX 275 896 MB ram
                Western Dig 1 Tb HDD
                ACER 23" Full 1080P monitor

I used my old mid tower case. And kept my old DVD burner and CD burner.
                I already had a few fans installed so cooling is ok.
                I even got 12 months same as cash so I could not pass it up.
                The i7 920 can be configured just like the extreme edition for a 1/4 of the price. Mine seems to work just fine.
                Meat Drapes
                -[OIJ]-
                Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

1 IMC IMC-black USB 2.0 Card Reader

1 Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

2 EVGA 512-P3-N884-TR GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

1 Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

1 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ upgrade coupon

1 Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

1 ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

1 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

1 Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap

1 COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Grand Total: $1,436.35

I know that i'm missing a dvd rom and writer, newegg is currently out of stock so i have to order them somewhere else.
                  Are there any suggestions that anyone would make? or anything that you see I'm missing, extra cables or anything like that?

Comment

Are you reusing a old optical drive or are you not planning on having a optical drive in your new rig?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

New egg was sold out I have to order them from somewhere else.

Comment

Not possible that newegg is sold out of optical drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827118032

Comment

This is the drive I would get if I were you. (I actually did get this drive and like it a lot.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151187
                          sigpic

Comment

why go sli? Isn't it true the top single card solutions beat out SLI for the most part? Just curious...like a GTX 285, for instance. Or the GTX 295 (which is, I think, 2 vid cards on a single board)
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I just ordered from new egg. I went with 2 because they are running a combo deal on the 9800's so i got them for $40 each :D. Rather than spend 200-400 on a single dx10 GTX 2 series card I would rather just spend $80 on 2 9800's which will work for a while and wait for the DX11 cards to come out.

# 1 x SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
                              # 1 x EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
                              # 1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM
                              # 2 x Nvidia Gift Call of duty - World at war - OEM
                              # 1 x Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
                              # 2 x EVGA 512-P3-N884-TR GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
                              # 1 x Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
                              # 1 x CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
                              # 1 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
                              # 1 x CPU Mag Gift - 6 free issues of CPU Magazine - OEM
                              # 2 x Nvidia Gift - World of Warcraft - OEM
                              # 1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
                              # 1 x Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
                              # 1 x COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X