Help With Engine Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Engine Error

Whenever I try to get into a game I get the message "failed to open models/player/urban.vvd" which then causes the game to minimize and shortly thereafter I get "The instruction at "0x212fee75" referenced memory at "0x00ba9530". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program" I have downloaded the Catalyst driver from the ATI website, I am running a 3.8GHz Intel P4 with 1024mb of DDR2 and an ATI X800 Pro 256mb video card on XP SP2. I posted this in the CS general forums, but didn't get much of a response, so I reposted it here. Someone said to ask someone to send the me file in question but no one responded when I asked, I had disabled my anti-virus software (Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2k5) and it was working pretty well for about 2 days, then the error would continually pop up. Now it is almost impossible to get into any game one any servers, and If I do my game almost always givesme the two messages and closes down in a few rounds, or when we switch maps. Help?

Edit: I have a Viewsonic VP912b, which is a 19in LCD with a 12ms response rate and a native res of 1280x1024. I have been running CS at 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024 to get about 45fps more (from 85fps to 133fps on the stress test) would switching it up be better than having it run at a non-native res?
    Last edited by TheMuncher; 04-15-2005, 06:39 PM.

Re: Help With Engine Error

Ok, well i have sen this error before...tho it has not happened to me.......

I think that there is a forum on the steam site that can help....

Sorry i cant be of much help

-monkz
    Allen: Yeah, you're right.
    Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Does this only happen with CS? what about other Half-life mods?

I doubt it has anything to do with your screen resolution, but try changing it and see if it helps.

Go to steampowered.com and use the 'interactive help' thing they have there. It is basically a really good FAQ.

I would imagine that you have a corrupt file. You might be able to get steam to re-download it.
      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I've already changed my resolution, I know it wasn't responsible for the engine error but it was messing up my options menu sometimes. I've already re-installed both the whole Half-Life 2 package and Steam. I ran all the file checkers from Steam, but I'll check out the FAQ and re-run the cache verifiers.

Edit: Ran ALL of the verifiers, didn't find anything wrong, checked the FAQs for this problem but couldn't find it.
        Last edited by TheMuncher; 04-16-2005, 01:32 PM.

Comment

When did this problem start? Has it always been there? What was the last thing you changed before it started. Can you play other games?
          Wintermute

Comment

It started earlier in the week, I hadn't made any changes but the game had crashed once or twice doing the sound loops, then it stopped and a day or so later this started. I haven't tried playing Half-Life 2, and since I reinstalled it I haven't downloaded Half-Life DM. This is the only actual game I have on my PC, I'm strapped for cash and we got the PC earlier this month so I only have demos which I haven't run in awhile but will when I get home from my friends house
            Last edited by TheMuncher; 04-17-2005, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Tried to play Half-Life 2 and got another "Failed to open:__________" message. I have already run all the verifiers twice, should I do a complete reinstall of Half-Life 2 and Steam?
              Last edited by TheMuncher; 04-17-2005, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMuncher
                should I do a complete reinstall of Half-Life 2 and Steam?
                You said you already did that. Do it if you haven't.

No one will be able to pop an answer out of the air. You have to do some work yourself. Others can only suggest routes of investigation until it is narrowed down. Try playing other games. Doing this will suggest weather the problem is with HL2/steam/CS or with some other aspect of your computer e.g. faulty hardware/virus/windows/drivers/incompatability etc etc.

Read every relevent forum, readme, help file and FAQ you can find. Use www.google.com . Do some thinking and some work out exactly which thing is going wrong.
                Wintermute

Comment

I have already reinstalled them, I was wondering if I should do it again, and no other games are working so I'll go after some drivers. Anywere I could get a spec software to tell me what all I have because I don't remember all the things like my soundcard.

Comment

go to start > click run > type "dxdiag" without quotes and hit enter.
                    Wintermute

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X