Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading possibilities for arma2

Hi all,

i've looked at the sticky posted by bamboo and the "will my pc run.." topic, but those didn't quite answer my questions.
    I figured i'd open anew topic here instead of cluttering the others, but if i should move this there, please do tell!

First off i was pleased with how arma2 runs on my pc, according to ts overlay if usually bounce between 26-30fps game, and everything feels stable despite the odd desync here and there.
    However, a little more horsepower never hurts :p

first up my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600

Mobo: ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe (supports am2 and am2+)
    ( http://www.techspot.com/review/81-as...uxe/page2.html )

GPU: ASUS 4830
    ( http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=255&Itemid=72 )

RAM 2 x 2x1Ghz Geil ultra dual channel matched kit PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz
    ( http://www.codima.be/product/387/gei...GB6400UDC.aspx )

Antec case, not sure wich model, but close to this one http://www.codima.be/product/719/ant...SK6580-EC.aspx

PSU: Thermaltake 750w (i'd have to digg up the box to say wich model exactly)

monitor output: Phillips 200vw 20" TFT screen and Toshiba Regza 26" LCD TV via HDMI

I built this PC roughly 2 years ago iirc, but with a similar lower speed 3800+ CPU and ASUS 8800GTS/320mb, from the outset to be mid budget and the possibility to upgrade down the line. When latest GTA was released, i picked up the 5600 at a budget price and scaled up the GPU to the 4830 wich runs close to 4850 performance at budget prices.
    I based that off the results from the "Can you run it" website and finding a good performance/price ratio with the techie at my computershop.

Now, i'm hoping that through slight upgrading i can up the horsepower abit to get the FPS in arma2 up a bit.
    I was looking at AMD Phenom X4s in am2+ my shop has in stock ( http://www.codima.be/categorie/CP5/0...2.aspx?s=2&d=1 ), because i would rather not have to spring for a new motherboard aswell...
    I take it the X4 means quadcores... but i'm a little bit confuse how that relates to the speeds...
    My dual core 5600 runs at around the 3Ghz mark (minimal spec), so at wich speed should the x4 run to comfortably run arma? Will i need to spring for the most expensive model that runs at 3Ghz to stay within spec?

Also, from what i read in bamboos sticky on the GPU front new thing are going to happen... i think my card is well enough to run things on normal (and i hope with a quadcore behind it, might cope with high??) so i'm not sure if it worth investing money in a current new card? Since i have crossfire capabilities, would it be worth looking into another 4830 to romp up the visual side of things? Or will that just add more headaches (heat, powersupply) that will not be worth the performance gain?

here's my arma2 benchmarks btw

Originally posted by sturgis View Post
    figured it out, i read something about it having to be set at 1024x768 to perform the benchmark, so the first one is of the settings i have been playing on all this time, bar lower the resolution. last one is how i'm going to try it now, wich should hopefully improve my performance somewhat
    i also tried one at full specs but that took agonisingly long, i saw all sorts of weird crap during the tank test and it finally frooze up during the fifth lol

Running XP
    sigpic

"brum brum"

Re: Uograding possibilities for arma2

Hmmm, i've been reading up on processors, and from what i understand, the X4 Phenoms, really aren't the way to go, they dono't come close to performance of the intel rival CPUs +need additional cooling... pritty interesting review i found here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...pu-review.html

However, the opposite seems to be the case for the newer X4 Phenom 2s from the reviews i have read... infact one dutch site shows that the 940 model (3ghz) benchmarks outperform the intel Q's and is able to keep more or less up with the i7's!

If find this very interesting, as one reviewed mentioned that it is alot more efficient with thermal outputs then the older phenom and it doesn't need the increased cooling that the phenom needs!

This just might be what i'm after !

I've looked at the HT3 compatibility that the phenoms need, and according to the specs i find on my mobo, it supports HT3 and uses the 790FX chipset

coming from the first review i linked to: The 790FX can be considered the premier ATI based chipset for the Phenoms

i'm guessing/hoping this is the same for phenom 2s?

Anyone running a phenom2 by any chance?
    Any thoughts on the subject?

edit:
    just confirmed it will fit my mobo, 2nd one down http://products.amd.com/en-us/Recomm...d&socket=AM2+&
    sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

seems that things have taken a turn for the worst... in the benchmark topic i mentioned some problems i was expeirincing. now shorty after the above post i loaded uw arma and hoppe on the server, after 5 minutes of playing my pc went into sleepmode... i reset it and now it wont even boot up anymore...goes into sleepmode before it reaches the windows load scceen, am typing this through cellphone.

EDIT: i love my mobo (atleast i think that's what responsible for it) after a few restarts trying to get iinto windows, i got a screen telling me "to many cold restart due BIOS post" "press f1 to continue" , booted right up to windows, lucky escape there... i'll format my computer first thing when i wake up, and see if that fixes it... i hope i didn't fry anything...best leave arma alone tonight :(
      sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

ok, been reading up abit more, and turns out i was looking at the AM2+ socket phenom 2s... and for a mere 30€ more i can get the AM3 socket one...
        As it turns out the AM3 socket phenom 2s are pin compatible with AM2+ sockets, and will work with DDR2 memmory when on AM2+ mobos...
        According to asus, my mobo will support the AM3 CPUs ( http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ESv3v4AmCdP1GdRp )

This really does sound good no? As it essentially means, one can get the CPU now, and later down the line when that extra push is needed, get an AM3 mobo and the switch to DDR3 memory.
        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

anyone?
          sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

90 views and nothing?
            ah well, nm then...
            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

I'm sorry no one answered your post mate. Try asking one of the admins to move this over to the Hardware/Software portion of the TG forums. You might get a better response over there. It's a pretty active forum.

Also...go to the ARMA 2 General Discussion page and there is a sticky there put up by Bamboo about upgrading your computer for ARMA 2. There is some very good info there.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Moved to the hardware forums to get a few more gurus in on the thread. I am not as familiar with the AM2+/3 line, as my research went more towards Intel after about ten years with AMD processors. That said, what you have posted regarding updating seems quite logical. Perhaps some others here can give better advice than I.

Regarding the boot issue you mentioned, have you reformatted it yet? If not, try clearing the CMOS and see if that'll help square things away.

-BoD
                BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Sorry about not getting back to you quicker. I'm actually on my Iphone right now as I am in the middle of a move, and have no internet to play with.
                  I think that if your reformat works and no more problems, and you just want to upgrade the CPU, it should give you a boost enough to help you hold off upgrading till the new gfx. cards come out at the end of the year.

Just make very very sure you read up on your exact motherboard and if people have had any problems with using the CPU line you are looking at. I know a while back lots of people were very angry and having problems getting AM3 and AM2 stuff to work together like AMD said it would. I think they have fixed the problems, but you need to read up to make sure.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

ah cheers for that lads, i was beeing quite thick and though i was in the relevant hardware section, didn't cros my mind there was another in general!

Actually, i found out the mass cable on my PCI-e connector to my graphics card had come undone, had my mate solder it up, and everything is nice and stable again, been benchmarking arma most of the evening without a hitch :)

From what i read on the AMD and ASUS website, everything should run fine, my mobo has the chipset that runs the phenom / phenom 2s

i think i'll take the plunge and go get one of the phenom 2s tomorrow. sure it's not an i7, but the pricegap between the two is just to much for me and then there's the new mobo and memory to get aswell, but i'm sure it will give arma 2 quite a boot up the arse :)

I'm very tempted to get another 100€ asus4830 and run it crossfire though...
                    sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

I would really suggest against the other 4830. It just isn't worth it, and that 100 euros will go a long way on a killer card when the new ones come out. Going crossfire now (assuming it works good in ARMA, as there may be some problems) might mean you don't upgrade to a new card in a few months and are stuck with just average FPS and settings, when you could just buy a new killer card toward the end of the year, sell your old card for a good bit, and end up with a top notch rig with a quad core for not much money.

I mean if you are rolling in money right now, and are sure that even if you buy another 4830 you will still have enough for a new card later, then by all means. But most people are short on funds right now.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

tbho, i don't see myself buying one of the new cards upon release, due to the high prices here, top cards run upto 500€ here, wich is more then i'm willing to spend on a single computerpart...
                        Since crossfired 4830s seem to beat single 4870s from what i read, i'm hoping that investing that extra 100€ in another 30 (wich i could muster without much problems atm, since i had some money set aside for a trip that's not going through) would be enough to hold me over until the next gen cards drop to 2-300€ like when i bought my 8800...

question is, will the performance of crossfired 4830s be significantly noticeable enough then a single 30? i would hope so, but i have no experience with crossfire setups
                        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

At the very most crossfire and SLI can give you an 80% boost, I've never seen it higher than that in any card's benchmarks or through tests of my own SLI setup.

Arma 2 is also a HORRIBLE game for multi-gpu setups, I barely get an extra 20% boost from SLI (even after hours of tweaking SLI settings) and I'm guessing it'll be the same with crossfire. Go for something which has only 1 GPU if it's mostly for Arma 2 or be prepared to not see much of a performance boost if any at all. I would just wait and stick at the low settings until the new cards come out and the price wars between the green and red teams flare up.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Re: Upgrading possibilities for arma2

thanks for all the advice guys!

I've succesfully upgraded to a Phenom 2 x4 955 3,2Ghz black edition :D
                            it's running at 3,6Ghz now *big grin* so some arma bencmarks are in order i do believe... Hopefully it will remain stable or else i'm gonna have to tinker with things...wich i kind of dread since my buddy overclocked it for me...

i held off the second card as you guys said, i'll see what this new CPU does before i decide on what to do with that.
                            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Re: Upgrading possibilities for arma2

The CPU should in theory help a lot since Arma 2 is very CPU reliant, if it doesn't then it's all your video card (your ram should be fine since Arma 2 surprisingly isn't a ram hog).

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X