Thinking of building my second gaming rig and need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of building my second gaming rig and need some help

Ok as the title says this will be my second build and so far the total cost is about $1400.00 dollars.

This is what I am thinking of getting so far, sorry but I can't attach links yet.

Antec 1200 Gaming case $139.99
    Asus p6t deluxe v2 1366 atx MoBo $289.99
    Intel i7 920 processor $199.99
    Corsair xms3 ddr3 1333 8GB memory $179.98
    EVGA G-eForce GTX285 1GB ddr3 vid card $399.99
    Thermaltake SpinQ 1366 CPU Fan $69.99
    Pioneer CD/DVD Drive $39.99

I am keeping my current monitor, keyboard, mouse & a Western Digital 320GB SATA 2.0 HDD.

The only thing I can't seem to find is a power supply large enough & with a 40a on a 12v rail, any suggestions on the power supply and the items I have listed?

Re: Thinking of building my second gaming rig and need some help

how much are you looking to spend on a power supply. I mean this one could put a man into space, but might kill your budget.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703012

this one might fit the budget better
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256022

Comment

Well I can spend another $200 for the power supply. I liked the second one, but I would prefer a modular power supply, I hate dealing with unneeded wires, lol.

Comment

the silverstone decathlon 850w? I have this power supply, if you mean connecting only the wires you need, it is fully modular.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          how much are you looking to spend on a power supply. I mean this one could put a man into space, but might kill your budget.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703012

this one might fit the budget better
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256022
          Those are actually pretty terrible PSUs. The first one costs over $500 and it's only 83% efficient? And the second 12V line is pretty useless at less than an amp.
          This is probably better for your needs:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151031
          Still overkill on the wattage but more efficient, modular, multiple 12V lines at ATX specification amperage(may not be true, still could be a split from the same line), and cheaper. I also can't see why you need 40a on a 12V line, 20a is supposed to be ATX specification maximum and you can put different things on different lines. Though you might be able to explain why and I could try to find a PSU that fits.

Comment

Originally posted by blibblob View Post
            Those are actually pretty terrible PSUs. The first one costs over $500 and it's only 83% efficient? And the second 12V line is pretty useless at less than an amp.
            This is probably better for your needs:
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151031
            Still overkill on the wattage but more efficient, modular, multiple 12V lines at ATX specification amperage(may not be true, still could be a split from the same line), and cheaper. I also can't see why you need 40a on a 12V line, 20a is supposed to be ATX specification maximum and you can put different things on different lines. Though you might be able to explain why and I could try to find a PSU that fits.
            wow, you must blind and . There is no second +12 volt line in either of those power supplies. Multiply 12v lines is a waste, imo, its been debated over and over as to which is better.
            Silverstone Decathlon series power supplies have been rated as some of the best. Seasonic is good if your on a budget.

Comment

wow, you must blind and . There is no second +12 volt line in either of those power supplies. Multiply 12v lines is a waste, imo, its been debated over and over as to which is better.
              Silverstone Decathlon series power supplies have been rated as some of the best. Seasonic is good if your on a budget.
              You're right, it's probably not another line, just another cable on the same line. Which breaks the ATX PSU specification. Whether on not that specification was a necessary safety feature doesn't matter as much as the fact that it's about 600W more than you'll ever need at a cost $300 more than you need to pay. And since you only be pulling in about 300W it'll be operating at significantly less than it's rated 83% efficiency, probably around a little over 75%. I see the older and smaller wattage ones maintain close to 80% at about 25% load but with a huge drop around 15% so you'll be wasting a lot of watts at idle loads.

Whereas with that Seasonic one I posted you'll have 85% efficiency at load and probably around 82% at idle since seasonics generally have a very flat curve as well as the fact that your idle will still be around 25% of the load of the PSU. And even if the 12V lines aren't actually independent rails(though they like to advertise/pretend as such) it's still more than enough amperage for really any case unless you're trying to run 4 massive video cards in quad-sli. And you save $350.

EDIT: Better one that I glossed over... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151067 The one I was planning to get from preliminary looks, it's 80 plus silver, so about 88% efficiency. Way too much wattage, but PSU companies keep going for the higher wattage since it's easier to charge more for them.

Comment

You're right, it's probably not another line, just another cable on the same line. Which breaks the ATX PSU specification.
                Its confirmed, your blind. Your reading the -12v line at .8, just the same as the -12v at .8 in the seasonic.
                Seasonic [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected], [email protected],[email protected],[email protected]
                PC power and cooling [email protected],[email protected],[email protected], [email protected],[email protected]

Originally posted by blibblob
                ...... that it's about 600W more than you'll ever need at a cost $300 more than you need to pay. And since you only be pulling in about 300W it'll be operating at significantly less than it's rated 83% efficiency, probably around a little over 75%. I see the older and smaller wattage ones maintain close to 80% at about 25% load but with a huge drop around 15% so you'll be wasting a lot of watts at idle loads.
                Yes, which is why I said it could probably send a man into space and kill your budget. You don't read the post much either.
                Last edited by machowner; 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

The V2, etc are advertised as separate rails. Reviews say that this may not be the case since it's quite difficult to determine in tests. First time around I misread the -12V as a second rail on the Silverstone, it's not.

Yes, which is why I said it could probably send a man into space and kill your budget. You don't read the post much either.
                  And I don't get why somebody would even suggest something like that unless they have no clue what they're talking about and are impressed by large numbers. Your second one is still about $100 too expensive for needs.

Comment

speaking of Power Supplies.

I purchased a Corsair HX 750 modular power supply that rates very high in efficiency. I needed it to replace a 550 W Antec that had been with me for 5 years or so. The Antec was still doing okay but wasn't powerful enough for my a my new (to me) GTX280 GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010

I chose this based on Bamboo's recommendation. He's written an excellent tutorial on new builds that was written for the ARMA 2 forum but it really applies to everyone considering a new build.

see Bamboo's thread here :

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...cs-advice.html
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The V2, etc are advertised as separate rails. Reviews say that this may not be the case since it's quite difficult to determine in tests. First time around I misread the -12V as a second rail on the Silverstone, it's not.

And I don't get why somebody would even suggest something like that unless they have no clue what they're talking about and are impressed by large numbers. Your second one is still about $100 too expensive for needs.
                      It was a joke, which would be why I added the space thing and budget killing. Although pc power and cooling do make some of the best ps.

And by my calculations, its around half that much more, while you get a better ps.

The new corsairs are nice also.

Comment

Blibblob, the nvidia gtx285 requires 40a on a 12v rail. check microcenter and they tell you all the specs. I will look at the ones posted so far to see what I need. any more suggestions would be great.

Comment

I can see you keeping your monitor, mouse and keyboard but why not go all the way and upgrade your hard drive as well. Bamboo just updated his thread about Intel's release of their second gen SSDs. I know that price per gigabyte is still way up there, but if you have the cash I mean why not. If the 160GB version comes down to a reasonable level by year's end I'm definitely picking one up.

Just a thought.

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting one, but I would like to see if theire are any issues with them first & and with bamboo's post on the new i5 processors coming soon I might wait until then to buy & build a new pc. But most likely staying with the gtx285 and still need a psu with 40a on a12v, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by machineofdeath View Post
                              Blibblob, the nvidia gtx285 requires 40a on a 12v rail. check microcenter and they tell you all the specs. I will look at the ones posted so far to see what I need. any more suggestions would be great.
                              From what I saw the 285 pulls 180W at peak so the amperage for the card is 180W/12V = 15a, the more important need is to find a PSU that maintains the voltage at that load. Your machine probably would run on a 350W-400W PSU, I wouldn't recommend it since the hotter the PSU gets the lower the actual wattage. If it is a PSU with multiple rails then each rail will generally have about 18-20a on it(or on PSUs that split up 1 rail into multiple outs, each one will use up to a maximum of that rated value) so a PSU with multiple rated "rails" will suffice for a single 285. So a PSU with a 12V1 18a, 12V2 18a, 12V3 18a, 12V4 18a has 72a available for use. Maybe slightly less with some amperage lost in conversion.

To be absolutely positive of your 12V rail needs you could pay $2 to this website: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
                              Their free PSU calculator is the most accurate on the internet, most other ones inflating the wattage for whatever reason(probably paid off). I haven't used their pro version, but I'm betting it's like the free one with more. lol.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X