Printer sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer sharing

Guys I have a westell 327w router/modem, vista64 pc, and an xp32 laptop. The pc is connected directly to the westell and printer while the laptop uses wireless. I cannot figure out how to share the printer with the laptop or even get these two talking to each other. I would like to be able to share the printer and send files back and forth. I'm lost though and haven't been able to find a decent guide in setting up a home network.
    Also, the laptop doesn't have to stay wireless. I've got it on a docking station when at home and I can plug it into the westell if needed/easier. thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Re: Printer sharing

How is the printer connected? Model?

It sounds like you have all the pieces you need.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The printer is connected to the pc via USB. It is a cannon mp600. thanks.

Comment

It should be sufficient to install File and Printer Sharing on both, give them a common workgroup name (like "machhome"), and then share the printer. The printer's installer may even offer to set up the sharing once the service is present and workgroup assigned. You may also need to have the same username/password pairs on both systems.

You'll need to install the printer driver on the client system, because printer drivers have two halves: A rendering part used by applications to convert a document into something the printer understands (this goes on all the clients), and a communication part that actually feeds the rendered object to the hardware (this goes on the machine connected to the printer). When you install a "printer driver", the installer hooks up whichever parts are needed.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

thanks, I'll see what I can do. If I have more questions I'll post them.

Comment

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

i have run into a problem with setting up my home workgroup. My work laptop is apart of a domain at work. How do I keep the domain settings and allow it to be apart of my home workgroup?

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ainjoined.mspx

Found using this google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+domain+workgroup

Comment

thanks, i searched domain workgroup and printer last night but didn't get results as good as those.

Comment

Your desktop will also need to be on in order for you to print from your laptop. Alternatively if your Canon has a ethernet port (and if your router has a built-in print server), you could just hook your Canon up to your router, configure your printer (through the printer's CP) to be shared with a fixed IP over your network. Then just install the necessary drivers on all of the PCs you want to be able to use the printer and you're good to go.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I couldn't get my XP boxes to talk to the vista box and through research I found a fix on microsoft's website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
                      "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                      "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

thanks mediator, maybe that is the problem. I can get the two to ping each other, but thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mediator View Post
                          I couldn't get my XP boxes to talk to the vista box and through research I found a fix on microsoft's website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
                          Originally posted by machowner
                          I can get the two to ping each other, but thats about it.
                          That fix never worked for me since my XP computers (last time I tried) already had that fix applied from SP3. So even then, I still could not get my XP systems to talk to my Vista boxes (besides pinging). I eventually gave up when my dad bought a wireless MFC printer and when I replaced two systems with fresh installs of Vista.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This any help ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              It should be sufficient to install File and Printer Sharing on both...
                              You do not need "File and Printer Sharing" on the laptop, but only the desktop to which the printer is connected. The laptop will need "Client for Microsoft Windows" protocol installed (which is by default). Unless you are sharing from that laptop, "File and Printer Sharing" should be uninstalled as good security practices dictate.

Make sure your windows firewall is allowing connections to "File and Printer Sharing" from the local LAN on the desktop.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X