Router/Firewall configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router/Firewall configuration

OK I finally got around to hooking up vonage and I finally got permission to get a laptop, so yesterday bought a wireless router. Both the vonage and wireless routers are linksys, and each has some firewall capabilities.

Do I need to also buy a dedicated firewall?
    Are there some good pointers/online resources for setting up the security?

I've read a bit about mac addressing and WAP or the WNBA or WPA or whatnot and that Apo could still break in and screw my dog within 30 seconds. Since I'm ultra rich, work for the NSA, and am surrounded by MIT doctorate candidates with specializations in hacking, I really need my network security to be bomber. Any tips 'n tricks are much appreciated.

What steps do I need to take and how do I know when I'm more or less secure?

Gracias!

Re: Router/Firewall configuration

* lower the output of the 802.11 to only reach the places you will be surfing from.... the biggest error most people make is sending signal to the road when you only surf from 4 feet away.......
    * use wpa instead of wep if possible..... or use a higher encryption if you use wep...128 or even 256 is best. (but you will lose speed the higher you go for tcp/ip overhead)
    * change your password frequently, and use random hex..... your phone number is way easier to guess than 7d38b408a1......
    * use mac filtering
    * shrink the subnet to 2 or 3 ip's (the lan ip range... and make it something goofy like 192.168.74.32-198.168.74.34)
    * turn off the wireless when you will not be using it for more than say 8 hours..... just unplugging it will suffice......
    * if the routers have it, use the firewall...... hopefully, being linksys, they will have spi and not just nat.
    * open only the ports you use..... and even better lock each computer down to what that individual computer will use.... a gaming machine probably wont use ssl, but your laptop wont be gaming.
    * force the computer to assign the same IP to the same computer each time based on the mac address, doing this and shrinking the subnet to only the amount of computers you have will keep ppl from getting on the network while you are using it......
    * encrypt sensitive data. ZeroFootprintCrypt is a great free program to use.
    * keep AV and antispyware up to date and scan regularly.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

* if the routers have it, use the firewall...... hopefully, being linksys, they will have spi and not just nat.
      Make sure you check the specs for your manufacturer/model. I was doing some research on the Linksys model I have and there is no mention of SPI. I made the false assumption that all broadband routers had it. I have a new one coming that does have SPI.

[volun]

Comment

Thanks fellas
        !

Comment

Got a model # on the Linksys? Anyways: From Here
          The Router protects your PC from most known Internet attacks with a powerful Stateful Packet Inspection firewall.
          Powerful is a subjective term, but for most people: "Nothing in, everything out" works great. Using Apo's advice, I've started using WPA with MAC filtering and it's more secure and easier to setup than WEP. Just pick a good passphrase you can remember, and switch it up every once in a while.

Also, use Windows firewall in conjuction with your Linksys one. Layers are the key to good security. A wise man once said: "You can't stop a good hacker, but you can slow him down enough to piss him off so he moves on to easier prey."

Comment

How do you setup WPA? I'm searching the internet for a how to guide and am coming up short, AND Paul isn't on instant messenger! Help!!!

Comment

never mind I found a good guide from microsoft no less!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X