Developing Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Problem

So about a week ago I brought my rig to a friends house and when I stated my computer up the screen was covered in very weird graphical errors, not just part of the screen the whole thing was messed up. I restarted and then reseated with no change, so I took my 8800GT out and used my friends 8800GTS (he just got a GTX295) to check if it was my GPU. It boots right up no problems. After a few minutes of normal operation I put my 8800GT back in and it works fine again. So for a week or so I've had normal operation until yesterday, start up and get the same broken graphics, cant see anything, so I reseated the card and there we go back in business. I start up this morning and same issue, except this time I did not remove the card I changed the power plug and instead of complete screen distortion I had partial distortion, it was somewhat readable but all the words were being drug down and broken during start up. So I wiggled the card around some and left the second power cable in and it started working normally again. All my games have been running normally, even from the first incident and that was 2 hours of ARMA2 (even though the GPU driver did crash once that afternoon).

E6750 @ 3.4GHz
    4GB (4x1GB) Corsair XMS2 891MHz @ 4-4-4-12 on 1.8V
    Asus P5k-E Wifi
    Evga 8800GT (Custom cooler) OC through Evga Precision @ 725MHz
    OCZ 700W GameXtream PSU 4 x 12V rails @ 18A each (Link)
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Developing Problem

Hmm, it sounds like you either don't have either power going to the card (maybe PSU is on the fritz?) or something wrong with the card. I've had cards that had some bad memory chips and I experienced some of the same symptoms.

I'd be more tempted to lay blame on heat than either of the above 2.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'l add a new symptom: just got back from work and my machine has been off for a while and I start it up and get the partial screen distortion so I shut off mid boot and give it a few seconds and hit the power button again and everything works fine. My build is almost 2 years old at this point so I'm a bit suspicious that some piece of hardware is failing like the PSU but I'm not sure.

Comment

Are you experiencing anything similar to what I did.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/have_a_...7621661684041/
        If you follow the link it takes you to a still image and a little video of my boot sequence.

I ended having to RMA my card and I just got word that it was indeed faulty and it's on it's way back with a replacement card.

Comment

that looks like it, so it looks like my GPU is starting to kick the bucket I guess I'll get in contact with someone at Evga.

Comment

At least it's through eVGA. They have excellent customer service, granted you registered your card.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I did register my card, and it is confirmed my card went completely dead today so I put in my 7800GT for now and will be contacting Evga tonight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X