Freezing/Shutting down issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing/Shutting down issue

I will briefly describe the problem and take any advice into account before I proceed further in resolving this issue.

Let me start out by saying that the PC in question was working just fine up until fairly recently and nothing is over-clocked. I cannot pinpoint the exactly when problems developed.

The PC seems to run perfectly fine during normal use such as web surfing, watching video etc. However, when attempting to play a game (any game I have tried) issues occur. Most of the time the system will simply freeze requiring me to shut the system down. Sometimes the screen will blank out or the system will just shut itself off. This usually happens withing a minute or two of starting the game.

At first I suspected that maybe it was over-heating. I took the system apart and reapplied Arctic Silver to the CPU and chip set heat pipe. I installed some tools from NVidia's website to monitor temps and they seemed OK. I also opened the case and placed a box fan right up against the machine blowing air into it. All of this to no avail.

I have tried swapping the GTX280 that is in the machine with a GTX285 that I have in another machine, but yet the problem persists.

I have tried installing another OS and updating drivers (from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 RC), but to no avail.

I wonder now if something is wrong with the system board.

Thanks for any advice:

The system contains a
    Index Core2 Quad 9550 at 2.83 Ghz (stock speed) CPU
    EVGA nForce i790 FTW Digital system board

Re: Freezing/Shutting down issue

What type of psu do you have? Try a different one.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
      What type of psu do you have? Try a different one.
      The PSU is a 1000W modular PSU made by Ultra. I do not have the model number here with me.

Comment

Also...RAM. A bad stick of RAM will cause all kinds of problems that look and act like something else. Strange that it started randomly though. You could also run memtest86 to test the ram.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The psu is definitely powerful enough as long as it's not dieing. Check the ram for errors like Grunt said. Try running a stability stress test like prime95 or something also.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I ran memtest86 and the machine rebooted after about 5-10 seconds of testing.

Then I took out one stick (there are 2) and reran the test which completed without rebooting.

I then pulled the other stick and into the slot from which I just pulled I put the stick I had pulled initially, and reran the test. Again the test completed without rebooting.

Therefore when testing the sticks individually in the same slot, the machine did not reboot during the test. So I figure maybe it is the slot from which I pulled the first stick. So I put a stick into this slot and reran the test. The machine does not reboot this time either.

Alright, so now I just put them both back into the slots and rerun the test for kicks. The machine reboots.

In summary, the machine does NOT reboot when testing the sticks individually but reboots when both sticks are in place. Keep in mind this is a matched pair of Corsair DDR3 RAM, so the machine should have no problem with compatability between the two sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by blackettle View Post
              I ran memtest86 and the machine rebooted after about 5-10 seconds of testing.

Just for that I would RMA them. (But it sounds like it could be a MOBO issue). Corsair support is awesome. Got to the Corsair forums and start a case. They'll hook you up with a new pair. You'll just have to pay the shipping to them and they'll ship them back to you.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed