Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Cleaner

Hey guys.

I'm looking for information about cleaning the registry. I know it's important to do. I've been using CCleaner on boot up and shut down to scrub temp files etc out of my system. There is also a utility in CCleaner that fixes registry problems. I run this every couple or three days or so and usually it picks up 10-20 registry errors and then I run the "fix the errors" button and viola done. Yes...I back up the registry each time when prompted.

Is this good enough or should I be looking at a program just for registry cleaning. I've looked at some other sites (Sysopt.com) and I'm getting a ton of conflicting responses. Some people say don't do it ever. Some say some of those reg cleaners will hijack your machine...and some are pure positive you have to do it to keep your computer running healthy.

What's the take on this board. Any recommendations for a free registry cleaner?...Someone on another site suggested Wisecleaner but when I was blocked from looking at it from work because it said the site had a malicious reputation. Hmmm...I trust the advice given here more than just about anywhere else.

Thanks guys (and gals).
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Registry Cleaner

I also use the CCleaner one, but usually only about every 2 months. It isn't something that needs to be run constantly really. And I actually do side with the folks that say most people shouldn't use registry cleaners, because I have had one kill my system back when I used XP. I don't remember what cleaner it was, but I used it after reading a couple of good reviews about it. Ran it, started having some weird bugs, rebooted, and SURPRISE, no more XP.

That is when I realized it is just better to reinstall your OS every year or so. It feels like you have a brand new computer again. Mine is about 2 months over due for a reformat, but with Win7 release so close, I figured I would just wait.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

i agree with bamboo re install my OS aswell

Comment

Clean Install for the win then. I'll reduce the frequency of use of CCleanerfor the registry to once a month.

Thanks.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse