Can you hear me now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you hear me now?

Well, actually no I can't. When I started my system last night I didn't have sound, whereas it had worked just fine the day before. So I checked all the connections and ensured the speakers were powered up. Then I cleaned out the entire case and reseated the audio card. Still no sound. I pulled the card and tried on-board sound. Nope.

I suspect a setting in WinXp needs to be fixed because the speakers make sound if the plug is touched to the case, which indicates to me they are indeed powered and working - they just lack a signal. The only thing I haven't tried is plugging in a different set of speakers.

Thoughts?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Can you hear me now?

Have you run dxdiag and checked to see if it isn't a software issue? If your speakers are powered, they will make noise if the plug is touched to metal. I've had onboard sound wiped out by a lightning strike and a sound card taken out by a cheap Hiper power supply but never lost sound completely for no apparent reason. Sounds like a software issue of some sort to me.
    sigpic

Comment

Good Lord...it turned out to be the master volume was all the way down. I don't know how it happened, but I have been having system irregularities...time to reload Windows.

Thanks, Buckets. DXdiag led me to finding the problem.
      |TG|Melee

Comment

Wow, its always the most simple thing that goes wrong. The thing that's so simple you think 'Na it can't be that'.

Like the time I thought my PC was completely dead, spent about 15 mins fiddling around in the box before I realised there was a power outage. :o

Yes I'm that observant :D

Comment

Thanks for not making me feel like an idiot. That was embarrassing.
          |TG|Melee

Comment

That was embarrassing.
            Try spending nearly an hour wondering why you have no internet connection, releasing IP then renewing, checking router settings, ping, tracecert etc etc only to realise that the cable is not plugged into the wall.:row__632:

We have a word for that kind of person in Ireland and it's "Gobs**te"

Comment

I once built a new computer and forgot to plug the video card in. I had already requested an RMA before I figured out the problem. 'Twas an embarrassing phone call to cancel it.
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X