No announcement yet.

Winxs: Why my Vista install bloated to 28GB

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winxs: Why my Vista install bloated to 28GB

A few weeks ago I need some space on my raptor main OS drive, which is about 74gigs. I have tired to keep only my Vista install on there, and a few other important things like the graf. card driver install and NOD32, etc. Everything else is on my other drives. But when I looked at my drive, I find that I only have about 13 gigs of free space.

So I was very quick to click on a link in my RSS feed when I read this:

Winxs: Why my Vista install bloated to 28GB

I went to the folder they talk about, and surprise, mine is about 18 gigs. Right now I'm debating on giving their recommended fix a go, but I wanted to ask everyone here to check their folders, and if you can report back on how big yours are.

Here are mine
    Windows: 29.6 gigs (what the hell)
    WinSXS: 18.3 gigs
    Nvidia: 1.39 gigs (holy crap, looks like it keeps all the old drivers)

Be sure to read through the comments at the link above. Some are helpful.

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Winxs: Why my Vista install bloated to 28GB

just for reference here are mine

windows: 16.6GB
    winsxs: 9.3 GB
    nvidia: 196 MB

I apparently don't have the vsp1cln.exe so I might have already done that, can't say for sure but it sounds like something I would do since I wouldn't feel the need to uninstall SP1
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

windows - 17.1 gb
      winsxs - 10.3 gb
      ATI - 638 mb

woah 29.6 gb! thats a load

SxS is side-by-side, and is a way for applications to deal with "DLL Hell". It allows shared libraries with different versions to coexist, allowing an application built with one version of a DLL to coexist with one built with a different version.

Apparently Vista SP1 backs up files it replaces in a directory under winsxs. The tool in the linked article removes the backup, so you can no longer back out to pre-SP1. But why would anyone want to do that? Vista before SP1 sucked. When you install a service pack, you're generally given an option to not keep a backup for rollback. I generally will accept the backup, and then remove it later once I can tell that the system is stable. This is particularly important if the process gets interrupted.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed