Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Vista on a different computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Vista on a different computer?

So my grandmother is having computer issues and long story short she needs an operating system. My plan is to just uninstall Vista from my machine (I'm triple-booting) and install it on hers. I know there can sometimes be issues with MS freaking out about how the hardware is different and it can turn into a huge issue on the phone with their reps, so my question is, what exactly will I need to do to make sure that the new computer accepts the Vista install and CD key without any problems? The CD and key are legit OEM copies I just want to make sure that there's not some other de-activation step I should be doing.

Re: Installing Vista on a different computer?

Just FYI - OEM Windows installs are supposed to be kept on the machine (pretty much means motherboard and processor) they were originally installed on and not transferred to another machine. That said if you contact the hotline they are pretty good about just making it go through if you get an activation request. As OEM is not technically transferable there is no reason to have a deactivation step.

I'm not sure about Vista but if you haven't messed with your XP install for a while the automatic validation goes right through. I'm guessing it will be the same with your copy of Vista.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure about Vista, but XP will only complain if you take the actual HD out of one machine and try to boot it on radically different hardware. If you just wipe the drive and install it on another machine you shouldn't have any problems as it would invalidate the other install since the key can only be active one machine at a time.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        Just FYI - OEM Windows installs are supposed to be kept on the machine (pretty much means motherboard and processor) they were originally installed on and not transferred to another machine. That said if you contact the hotline they are pretty good about just making it go through if you get an activation request.
        qft
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

My mom's eMachine T5224 with Vista Premium appears to have snuffed it with a dead motherboard. The drive works fine when plugged into another machine, and the PSU seems to fire up. I gave her my old game box with a CentOS Linux setup temporarily, which is sufficient for her to do email, Mahjong, and view the occasional web link sent by email. But I'd like to revive her old machine if I can. I figure I can replace just the mobo and use the old CPU and memory (crosses fingers) but I'm likely looking at reactivation.

(My mom isn't one of those people who needs to change their screensaver more often than their underwear, so she's adapted to Linux quite easily.)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X