Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia Driver update - Now BSOD a plenty!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Driver update - Now BSOD a plenty!

I've got an Nvidia 9800 GTX at stock speeds.

So in an attempt to solve my "receiving" bug I kept getting in ArmA 2 I updated my video drivers. I was at 186.16 and I updated to 190.38, the newest I found on the Nvidia website.

I uninstalled previous version, restarted, installed the new ones and went to play some Fallout 3. I got a BSOD after pulling up my pipboy. Game would play fine till I pulled it up. BSOD mentioned nv4.dll or some such was the problem. I boot into safe mode and uninstalled the 190.38 drivers and restarted back to safe mode and tried again. After finally getting back to windows it happens again. I try 2 more times, succeeding in getting some quality F3 action in till it BSOD out of nowhere. I restart and tried Farcry 2 - this works fine for hours so I figure it's all worked out.

I start up today and try some Farcry 2 and just as it's about to display the level after the load screen I get the now familiar BSOD. I've tried reinstalling in safe mode and even updating to the 190.56 drivers they just released a beta of a few hours ago and it still happens. I even thought that eVGA precision might have something to do with it so I shut it off, and even underclocked my card - both to no avail.

I'm going to try to revert back to 186.18 drivers. If that fails I have no idea what to do. A searched pulled up everything from leftover driver files to bad RAM (which I heavily doubt is the problem).

Has anyone else had problems with the new Nvidia drivers? I seriously can't get any gaming in at all.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Nvidia Driver update - Now BSOD a plenty!

the 190.38 drivers have been working fine for me
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Well I managed to find a copy of the 186.18 drivers and installed those, and no BSOD for now. I'll do some more testing but I'm pretty sure this solved the problem for right now. However it doesn't tell me why the newer drivers crapped all over my system or what I can do to get rid of the stupid "Receiving" bug I get in ArmA 2.

Comment

I had a similar problem with the new driver and got CTD in BF2. First time in a while a driver update messed me up. Reinstalled the last one and no problems.

Comment

I have had problems with Nvidia drivers not being uninstalled completly as well.
          Now I always use Driver Sweeper when installing new drivers, and haven't had a blue screen since. Just make sure you follow the instructions and be VERY sure not to check the box to clean the Nvidia chipset drivers, as that is related to Nvidia motherboards, not gfx. cards.

Driver Sweeper is a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system. It's very important to remove your drivers on a proper way, because driver leftovers can cause problems like stability and startup problems. You can use it if you want to update/remove drivers from your system.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks Bamboo, I'll try that out tonight as the problem isn't completely fixed. I was exiting out of Farcry 2 and got the BSOD again. Would've tested it a little further but decided bed was more important.

Number of blue screens I've had in the 8 years I've been building my own systems - 1
            Number of blue screens I've had the last 2 days - 14

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              I have had problems with Nvidia drivers not being uninstalled completly as well.
              Now I always use Driver Sweeper when installing new drivers, and haven't had a blue screen since. Just make sure you follow the instructions and be VERY sure not to check the box to clean the Nvidia chipset drivers, as that is related to Nvidia motherboards, not gfx. cards.
              I wounder how well it works since you driver folder was over a 1GB while I don't use it and my folder was a few hundred MB? I wounder how it works.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Driver sweeper deals with the registry and stuff, not the Nvidia folder if I'm not mistaken.

Now that I think about it though when I had an ATI card, it would hold on to tons of old stuff as well, so it's not just an Nvidia thing. I think it is just because I have played around with so many versions of drivers trying to get ARMA and Crysis to play the best.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well that sort of did the trick. I uninstalled the old drivers and booted Safe Mode. Driver Sweep kept freezing up on me, but it did provide me with the locations of all the files to delete. I manually killed them and installed the 190.38 drivers. I didn't have any blue screens when playing or exiting Farcry 2. I did notice I had to turn my settings down slightly as my fps was lower with the new drivers. Oh well.

I'll test some more with ArmA 2 tonight to see if it resolved the "receiving" bullcrap.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

FYI, ARMA2 released a new patch today and it says something in the change log about fixing a receiving issue. Check it out in the ARMA forum.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X