"HELP" Bad video Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "HELP" Bad video Card

Well recently on our family computer which was my old gaming computer has been having troubles. Recently the screen has not been responding while it has been idle and you have to restart.

I had my 7900gs in it and the fan was running very loud on the start. Now the screen wont turn on at all. I assumed that the video card had died and i put in a old card which i believe is like an ATI 9250 or something around that.

Now i cannot even get to my desktop to uninstall the Nvidea drivers and install ATI Drivers. Even if i boot into safe mode once the Windows XP loading thing goes away it BSOD's. I dont know any other way to fix it other than reformatting which i dont want to do. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fix it without doing that?

When it BSOD's the error codes are these

0x00000024
    0x00190203
    0x89c50820
    0xc0000102
    0x00000000

What i am guessing is it is a driver error due to the fact that i get a BSOD on start. But the wierd thing was it started to boot but the screen would lose video and then it would come back. My screen then got distorted at one point and i restarted. It ended up the screen just had a meltdown and once i unplugged the screen and plugged it back in it worked again. After i restarted after that it just BSOD's
    Last edited by warpig1292; 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM. Reason: added info
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: "HELP" Bad video Card

I'd say try the 7900 again, clean it out first and seat it carefully.

If that doesn't work, spend 50 bucks on a new card.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

The 7900 is done. Screen wont respond. But i have the ATI 9250 which should work which was the origional card in it when purchased by dell....

Maybe i could milk it out so i can give the family computer my 3870 and upgrade my rig
      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Start up in safe mode and uninstall all the drivers for the cards, then restart windows.

Comment

Said that he can't boot safe mode.

Hmm, might be able to boot a Linux live disc and manually remove the drivers. It'd be a PITA but could be done. If you could boot the live disc it would at least tell you that the hardware is still good.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Fourth or fifth google result for the first error:

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles...error-code.htm

Sounds like file system issues and not hardware. Do you have the option to format and reinstall (like you have a choice not to ;))
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

No onboard video? Usually that doesn't get driver screwed when a slot card dies.

Another thing to try is the VGA mode from the f8 list.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                Fourth or fifth google result for the first error:

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles...error-code.htm

Sounds like file system issues and not hardware. Do you have the option to format and reinstall (like you have a choice not to ;))
                Thats what i noticed when i googled the error code. the odd thing that i found was it all started when something happened with the card...

As it said in that article i will try to do the windows repair thing. If all else fails i guess a reformat will be needed...

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                No onboard video? Usually that doesn't get driver screwed when a slot card dies.

Another thing to try is the VGA mode from the f8 list.
                Whenever i try to boot to VGA Mode or safe mode it BSOD's
                |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I'd go the live disc route at least to grab your files before you format it.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

An even easier way, would be removing any video card from the computer, clear your cmos jumper to reset the bios to factory defaults and then try booting using the onboard video. If you can do that then it's the video card. If you have the same problem trying that way then it is something else, usually ram will throw off errors like that. If it still does it, run memtest86+ and see if your ram passes, if it doesn't then it is indeed bad ram. Pm me this doesn't fix your problem and I can assist you further.

Comment

Ok will do. I dont think that this mobo has onboard video... IS there any way i can check. It was just a POS dell my parents had bought but came from the factory with a video card. And i have tried another card and that is what is causing me the errors... But i cant even see what would happen if i ran the card in it.

I will try running memtest in the morning.. I just need to find my cd thats laying around somewhere
                      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

If it has onboard it will have a VGA plug on the back of the computer near the middle, not the bottom where the video card is.

Comment

DUh... I cant believe i didnt think of that lol. Going to try all of that now
                          |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X