Skud's crazy Windows 7/Desk Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skud's crazy Windows 7/Desk Mod

Windows 7 is coming in October. I plan on building a new rig for it. Whoop de doo. But what about my desk? I can't stand this desk. It's shallow, it has a stupid pull out keyboard tray, it does not have enough room for periprials, it can't facilitate anything over 19" (It barely fits mine now!) and cable management is non-existent.

Not only that, but the drawers are just plain useless. They're just standard size drawers that are 6 inches deep. And a flie size drawer at the bottom. Do you know what these turn into? Junk drawers. A nightmare.

So I'm building a desk. Or modifying one. Or buying one, and then modifying it. Or finding one for free, adding parts onto it, and.. you get the picture. I want to have switches, buttons, and displays as PART of the desk.

I spent the afternoon looking at ideas/concepts for what I really want out of such a project, and discussing it with my dad who's experienced in the electronic and technical fields.

PYRO has an ideal build, but I intend on using a case, but with the same kind of configuration for the desk and cables.

Switches like this one will be pretty useful. That one is ridiculously priced, but it's the thought.

If you haven't seen extreme pc mod then you're missing out. I have NO intention of doing a liquid or mod on anywhere near the scale of this guy. But the design is awesome.

Don't intend on a Liquid build, or using nearly that much glass, but I love this build.

This build is great. It is the most realistic build out of the several hundred that I've seen. Finding a good desk of that size is not unrealistic. I honestly wish I knew where he got that desk. It's not IKEA, I've looked. Only problem with the build is cable management.

However, the most important part of the build for me will be geek factor. I've always been interested in mods that incorporate this kind of stuff, but haven't ever gotten into it. The fantasy of this build is making a "Big red button" for LED lights turning off/on. Wimpinator I'm looking in your direction!

I'd love any cool links you guys find on the following:
    • desks
    • mechanical stuff/robotics that i could incorporate into the desk
    • pc mod supplies that you think would be awesome to incorporate into the desk
    • any useful programs

EDIT: By the way...

No, I don't pay the power bill. However, overloading circuits is dangerous and risky. So, ideally, gizmos and gadgets would be very low-power devices to lower the impact on the power supply or wherever it's plugged in.
    Skud

Re: Skud's crazy Windows 7/Desk Mod

very cool idea. Keep us updated, this something I would like to do sometime in the future.

Are there any specials concerns with grounding?
    Last edited by machowner; 08-08-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

15 min sketches
      Skud

Comment

If you have that set-up, I am sure AFOSI will be knocking on your door. Good idea to keep the output low...I'd be worried about heat without some sort of uber cooling option.
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

200mm big boy cooling by antec should be a great way to keep heat low without power concerns.
          Skud

Comment

This is actually exactly what I have planned out for my next build. Its a year out, but I'm starting some initial brainstorming, and drawing up some stuff in my spare time at work.

I'm gonna use liquid cooling in mine, and incorporate a second PC in the desk to act as a server. Its going to be nice looking, but nothing gaudy with a lot of lights or stuff, I'll more than likely be sleeping in the same room as the PC.

I'll post back when I come across more stuff and have more solid designs drawn up.

Comment

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/4318067.html
              Attached Files

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                This is actually exactly what I have planned out for my next build. Its a year out, but I'm starting some initial brainstorming, and drawing up some stuff in my spare time at work.

I'm gonna use liquid cooling in mine, and incorporate a second PC in the desk to act as a server. Its going to be nice looking, but nothing gaudy with a lot of lights or stuff, I'll more than likely be sleeping in the same room as the PC.

I'll post back when I come across more stuff and have more solid designs drawn up.
                Exactly why I'd like to put the fancy led's on military switches on the desk. :D

If you find any awesome ideas, share them here!

EDIT: To answer the grounding question: Grounding is not an issue. All sockets in my dorm are fine.
                Skud

Comment

Well, no pathetic whimpy push button main power switch for you buddy.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Skud, first figure out what you want those switches to do. After have an idea for functions then we can layout actual switches. That will also tell you how many hardware I/O pins you need to play with and will dictate the controller that connects to the computer.

Second I would suggest something like a cockpit where you have panels of switches. They don't have to be integrated into the desk itself but you could build them into small chassis with the panels at an angle.

Take a look at my "Teamspeak Radio" project to get an idea about what is possible.

Edit: You can buy switches like DB posted at Radio Shack or at an automotive store in the electrical department.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Mmm, I saw the military switches years ago, and definitely saw them coming into play in a computer build. I've got a list at home of a bunch of features I want to incorporate into my build, I'll post the interesting ones, might be stuff you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                        Skud, first figure out what you want those switches to do. After have an idea for functions then we can layout actual switches. That will also tell you how many hardware I/O pins you need to play with and will dictate the controller that connects to the computer.

Second I would suggest something like a cockpit where you have panels of switches. They don't have to be integrated into the desk itself but you could build them into small chassis with the panels at an angle.

Take a look at my "Teamspeak Radio" project to get an idea about what is possible.

Edit: You can buy switches like DB posted at Radio Shack or at an automotive store in the electrical department.
                        Need a link on your TS build. Honestly, that's what gave me the idea for the switches.
                        Skud

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...o-project.html
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Do you have a color scheme in mind?

Custom Fan Grills
                            http://www.xoxide.com/fangrga.html
                            They used to have some awesome BioHazard symbol fan grills that I still have on my old case but i guess they dont sell those anymore.

Fan Controllers
                            http://www.xoxide.com/fancontrollers.html

UV Paint
                            http://www.xoxide.com/paint.html
                            +
                            Cold Cathodes
                            http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-15in-ccfl-uv.html
                            ^^^Cathodes can be turned on, off, or on sound activated

Comment

You might also want to consider a keypad to punch in the access code to fire up your doomsday machine :madsmile:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X