Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

I'm looking for suggestive feedback from those who have Vista and have upgraded to Windows 7 RC. Is it worth it for me to upgrade from Vista Home Premium x64 to Windows 7 Premium x64?

Anything else you guys think might be relevant or important.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

I'm feeling pretty much the same way about Vista right now as I did about XP once I got used to Vista. Windows 7 is pretty great. The beta has a few hiccups but it is almost as stable as Vista and feels a good deal snappier. The layout is much more intuitive and the UAC is much less intrusive. All in all, I like it a lot more than Vista.
    sigpic

Comment

There's no question about it. Your answer is "Yes".

I used Vista x64 for about two months, and when the Beta (and then the RC) were finally released... it was worlds better. Even in Beta form.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Well...7 is basically Vista SP3 (a very expensive SP, that is). Unlike Vista, it's actually quite stable though and compatibility is much better as well; what still remains a problem though are various "security" measures which aren't just annoying to the user but also huge security risks.

If you don't mind spending a lot of money (or using cheaper methods *coughs*), using the (in my opinion) uncomfortable Aero GUI and really want 64-Bit gaming, go for it (it's certainly a huge improvement over Vista, without any doubt). If not, XP is still the way to go.

Comment

Hmm, I have the RC and while I used it lots at the start, I rarely use it anymore. Still using XP 32 over it. Reasoning is simple, XP gives me a superious gaming performance. Now, maybe not necessarily graphically, I realise 7 would be just as good graphically with my Nvidia 275, but in the sound department. The reason I sold my copy of Vista and used XP was the horrendous sound issues Vista had, nothing is easy to set up there, in XP I can pick and choose stuff simply, and in game FRAPS can capture the in game sounds, my voice, in game VON, and TS. In Vista no combination of options could make that work. And I was always using the full updated FRAPS.

Windows 7 has the EXACT same sound issues, so I am out. Annoying as hell really, as 7 is nice to use, but for gaming no, and I am too lazy to log in and out of OS's so I inevitably just use XP.......

Comment

Honestly the whole love / hate thing for vista / 7 depends on what hardware you are using. If you have an older computer you are not going to have a good experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by xZyae View Post
              Honestly the whole love / hate thing for vista / 7 depends on what hardware you are using. If you have an older computer you are not going to have a good experience with it.
              I don't have older hardware so Vista nor Windows 7 would pose any real challenge for my rig to run.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My gaming experience on the Windows 7 RC client has been ace. I don't run Vista, but Windows 7 is a nice breath of fresh air compared to XP. Besides, why would I use a 32 bit (I know there is 64 bit XP, but I don't own it), 8 year old operating system with new state-of-the-art hardware? Performance seems just as good, if not better, than XP.

Comment

With the RC, the only thing that didn't work well for me in the Beta, PunkBuster, now works.

The only other major issue I have with applications, games, etc... the many I have... is that Media Player seriously gets cranky with some 3rd party codecs. Which is circumvented by using VLC. :D
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Wheres Bamboo when u need him!! LOL

Comment

Why do you need Bamboo? Just take our advice and upgrade to Windows 7. Trust us, you'll love it. If you don't I'll give you $5.

I'm loving the 'Scenes' Aero Theme. The backgrounds are very trippy.

It's basically just a better version of Vista. I love the new taskbar. The entire interface just feels a lot smoother and looks a hell of a lot better. I've had zero problems with hardware installations.

Comment

I really want to switch from Vista to Win7. It seems that PunkBuster is supporting it now and that was probably the only thing I was worried about during the RC versions.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Click the tag below the thread for all the other Win7 threads.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonafide View Post
                            Besides, why would I use a 32 bit (I know there is 64 bit XP, but I don't own it), 8 year old operating system with new state-of-the-art hardware?
                            Security, stability (to some degree - 7 is quite stable), compatibility (try playing System Shock on Vista...on 7, it *may* work when you're lucky, it's more compatible with older software, but not as much as XP) being in control of your computer and the files on it (7 has the capability to lock you out - something XP does not), comfort (this is more of a personal choice though - I think Aero is really uncomfortable to use). Also, the performance of most pieces of software tends to be *much* better on XP than it is on Vista/7 (even if you're using state-of-the-art hardware).

Comment

It's kinda funny how many of Nathrael's arguments apply to Linux. ;)

(I'm currently using Vista 64 Ultimate and strongly considering Win7 if it's not too expensive an upgrade.)
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X