PC For ArmA 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC For ArmA 2

I decided to get either a new PC or upgrade my existing PC so that I can play ArmA 2 and actually play it well with a smooth FPS. I glanced at Bamboo's thread about upgrading and have realized that I'm not good when it comes to the workings of PCs so I'm asking for a little help as to what I need to get a good (perhaps even great) rig going.

I've downloaded the ArmA 2 demo and tried running it with no success (even kashan/quinling wont play for me now) and am not sure what all I need to do to get this better rig... so here are the specs (I think), say if you need any more info to give advice:

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 (service pack 3)
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500
    2.20GHz
    2 GB of RAM
    ASUS EAH2400 Series
    512 Video RAM
    SB X-Fi Audio(C000) V.5.10

(I think thats all the specs needed?)

So, what can I do to get a well worth rig with a good lifespan that'll be able to play ArmA 2 and future games without much problems? I also got a case that has a bunch of those annoying blue LED lights that are always on (duct taped them out) so was thinking on a new case too and have heard that some cases have some sort of water cooling unit so your computer runs better?

Also how hard would it actually be to have the parts mailed then put it all together myself (probably myself and a friend) versus just putting up some extra money and having someone at a shop do it?

Thanks for any advice, Bamboo- help would be much appreciated since I know your pro at this stuff
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Re: PC For ArmA 2

Now that we are so close to Sept. release of the new i5, I really would hold off. Even if you end up staying with the current 775 stuff, it will be forced down in price once the i5 is released. Last I heard they are thinking the first week of Sept., so really not that long to wait.

And of course I recommend ordering and building it yourself. Or even ordering and paying a local computer shop $75 to build it for you. Look up at the sticky in this forum about the build guide. There are links to step by step guides and videos that explain everything in easy detail.

If you do want to build before Sept., we can help you out though.

If you want to hold off, you might want to do what a lot of us do and buy some parts now, like a new case and power supply, and then you will be ready once the new CPU and Motherboards get released.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What the above said. I personally wouldn't get an I 7 / 5 unless you do a lot of multi-tasking / video editing. I would go with something like this for gaming..

E8500 ~ $190
      Gigabyte UD3R(UD3P if you want crossfire) ~ $95
      OCZ Blade LV 1066 4gb Ram kit ~ $80
      EVGA GTX 260 ~ $180

I'm not sure what power supply you have, but chances are you will need one of those too if you upgrade to this stuff. I would suggest anything by silverstone , FPS group, PC Power & Cooling. Fsp look pretty cheap, but they actually make the powersupplys for ocz, they are nice quality at a good price. I would not even bother with water cooling at this point, if you are somewhat unsure of being able to build a computer, then water cooling will be a nightmare for you. If you do go through with an upgrade, pm me. I will write up a detailed document on how to assemble everything.

Comment

xZyae,
        Actually, ARMA2 is a CPU dependent game (whole system for that matter).
        It can make full use of a Quad, and considering the i5 can actually be seen by the game as having 8 cores because of hyper-threading, it would actually be an excellent choice.

The e8500 is going to be going "end of life" (EOL) soon and be replaced by the i3 and i5 lines. Going with the newer socket out next month would make since so that he will have an upgrade path 2-3 years down the road.

For those new to the forums, here is the link he is talking about above:
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...ml#post1297062

WOW, it actually has over 4,000 reads. Can't wait to update it once new info finally comes out.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and I for sure will be waiting for this to come out if its really all that its said to be but I'm still a bit confused, so the i5 is what your CPU is and the CPU is the same as how many gigahertz is on your computer?
          And I think I found how much power supply I got; in my comp theres a box with a small fan connected to it, it says Antec 450 Watt Output.

To help myself further understand stuff I've kind of outlined what I think what does what and what I should upgrade to:

(Computer, what the desktop/screen will look like) Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 (service pack 3)

(Motherboard which makes all things run and work together?) AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500

(CPU which lets your PC work extra hard?)2.20GHz
          (RAM which lets your PC work at all?)2 GB of RAM
          (Video Card which lets you get better graphics) ASUS EAH2400 Series
          (Nada clue) 512 Video RAM

(Audio Card, how would upgrading this improve audio at all? Gunshot sound wouldnt change since thats due to just what the games sound file is correct?) SB X-Fi Audio(C000) V.5.10

(Power Supply Unit, which lets your PC get the proper amount of electricity?) Antec 450 Watt

SHOULD GET:
          Well, not really sure still which is part of why I'm here... I'm assuming I can stay with XP and is the 2gb of ram fine?

Again, thanks for the help with my computer retardation.
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply and I for sure will be waiting for this to come out if its really all that its said to be but I'm still a bit confused, so the i5 is what your CPU is and the CPU is the same as how many gigahertz is on your computer?
            And I think I found how much power supply I got; in my comp theres a box with a small fan connected to it, it says Antec 450 Watt Output.

To help myself further understand stuff I've kind of outlined what I think what does what and what I should upgrade to:

(Computer, what the desktop/screen will look like) Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 (service pack 3)

(Motherboard which makes all things run and work together?) AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500

(Audio Card, how would upgrading this improve audio at all? Gunshot sound wouldnt change since thats due to just what the games sound file is correct?) SB X-Fi Audio(C000) V.5.10

(Power Supply Unit, which lets your PC get the proper amount of electricity?) Antec 450 Watt

SHOULD GET:
            Well, not really sure still which is part of why I'm here... I'm assuming I can stay with XP and is the 2gb of ram fine?

OS, wait for Windows 7, probably. The RC is apparently actually good, and XP is ending life eventually anyway.

You'll need a new power supply, definitely.

Motherboard, I'd personally go for a fairly high-end nVidia board (future upgrades) to match an nVidia card. Had a couple bad experiences with ATI, and the parts occasionally don't mix and match well.

CPU? Wait for the i5.

RAM: at least 4GB, maybe 6 or 8 depending on how on sale you can find good stuff. Dunno whether you'd want to go DDR3 yet or not though.

Audio card probably whatever you want, unless you're an audiophile like me ;)

Video card: something nVidia, quite possibly a GTX260 once the new stuffelz comes out and prices drop.
            "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

As spork said, you arn't going to be able to keep much from your old rig. It is pretty old stuff like my old one was, so you could either try and sell it or keep it as a backup or give it to a younger brother/sister/parent...................

Trying to upgrade what you have now will be poring money down a bottomless drain. Every $$ spent is on an outdated part that you won't be able to upgrade later.

You need to wait and see on just about everything, as the i5 will be a completly new socket. As for the motherboard though, you can't get an nVidia board, as they don't make any i7 or i5. They are pretty much shut out. But the good news is the i7 lets you use both SLI and Crossfire, and I'm hoping i5 will too.

As my thread said, all the new cards will be out towards the end of the year, possibly as soon as Oct, but as said above the Nvidia 260 is good in arma as is the ati 4890, and both are around the same price.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post

SHOULD GET:

You need a CPU, RAM, and a video card for your computer to function properly. The CPU is what handles the information processed by the computer, the RAM, which is random access memory allows for an increase in speed in computational tasks, and the video card is what allows graphics to be processed, etc. Video ram is the amount of ram your video card contains, so when someone says they have a 512mb video card for example, their card would have 512mb of video ram.

You have a 450W power supply.

I would wait it out until September, although in 3 days AMD is scheduled to release its fastest processor yet, to compete and outmatch the i7 920 directly, so hopefully that pushes prices down a bit.

Also, @ Bamboo above

I have found the 4890 simply isn't worth the extra money for 3 or 4 FPS, you'd be better off with a 4870. Just my opinion though.
                Last edited by flakt; 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

In the reviews of ARMA2, a factory overclocked 4890 does extremely well, putting out a lot more than 3-4 FPS over the 4870. He mainly wants a computer to do ARMA2 some justice, which is why I mentioned the 4890.

But again, the new ATI cards are supposed to be out mid Oct. or so, right about the same time as Windows7, so I would try to old off if at all possible. Hard to do when you read the recent AAR and ribbon noms in the ARMA forums.

Also, considering your PSU is probably a few years old, it isn't going to have the PCI-E and SATA connections that a more recent one should offer. The some of the new high end cards use an 8 pin plug, which only newer PSU have.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have the same system specs as you except that I upgraded my graphics card to an 8600gt a couple of years ago. I'm currently looking at cheap PC's on cyberpowerpc but I don't plan on getting one very soon. In my opinion a $500-$600 prebuilt (one im looking at has 9500gt and 3.0 GHz for $519) is worth less than building one, but I haven't really built a PC before nor do I know any great deals on parts. I think my 8600 allowed me to play the demo, but it was very.. "liquidy" and fuzzy, everything just looked bizarre and the movement and actions were about a few seconds behind. But from videos that I've seen about ArmA 2 it looks really amazing.

Comment

If you scavenge PC forums (HardOCP, Anandtech, etc) hard enough for cheap parts (CPU, Mobo, GPU), you could easily build an i7 rig for about $700 - $800.

You won't be disappointed, besides, building PCs aren't hard and it's a great skillset.

Comment

Just look up at the stickies in this forum for the one about building guides. There are tons of step by step ones, and even some video ones. It really is super easy like putting a lego set together with only like 10 pieces.

As for deals, if you start a thread with what you want, lots of us can look around for the best deals to help you. That being said, almost all the time Newegg combo deals are the best as long as you take the 5 mins to fill out the mail in rebate forms. Most of the builds I help out with here save up to $100 or more. I saved $85 when I built mine using combos and mail in rebates.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also should I keep my hard drive so I won't have to upload all my games/music/pictures/programs and etc. or would buying a new one be best? I think it's around 5-6 years old but I have tonnes of music and games where I don't even know the CD for them is anymore on the HD.

Are there any major benefits to getting a completely whole new HD? Would the PC run quicker with a new HD versus the old one?

Comment

Put the OS on a SSD and then it will be much faster. And make sure you back up that data - a HDD that old makes me nervous.
                            |TG|Melee
                            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Melee is right. The average lifespan of a harddrive is supposed to be about 5 years. Sure, some go longer, and some go less. But as cheap as harddrives are, I wouldn't risk wasting my time or the stuff you have saved. You can get huge drives for $50-$65, and as we are saying in the other thread, you are going to want to do a fresh install of your OS and the games anyway.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X