How-To: Install Windows 7 and live to tell about it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Install Windows 7 and live to tell about it

Pretty good writeup just posted on Engadget with some good details on how to upgrade to Win7. They have a section for most everyone, including:

From XP 32 to Windows 7 64 on a desktop
    From XP 32 to Windows 7 32 on a netbook
    From Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 on a laptop
    Easy Transfer app
    Hardware gotchas

Link:
    How-To: Install Windows 7 and live to tell about it

Lots of good easy to understand info :icon_cool

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: How-To: Install Windows 7 and live to tell about it

Well, the guide sure is useful for the less-than-tech-savvy user...but I stopped reading when they recommended using the "Upgrade" function instead of doing a clean install. Using it is the worst way to install a new OS - sure, it keeps all the files, but with them, also, all the clutter. There are only few ways to get an OS run slower than not doing a clean formatting and install procedure, and, if the upgrade process takes an hour, it isn't even significantly faster than the "right way" >_> .

Comment

I agree completly Nathrael. I would always recommend a clean install, but I'm sure a large majority of people out there will just use the easy upgrade, and most won't even backup their important stuff :(

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        I agree completly Nathrael. I would always recommend a clean install, but I'm sure a large majority of people out there will just use the easy upgrade, and most won't even backup their important stuff :(
        And now guess who they'll complain about their systems running slow or their data being lost :D .

Comment

I was attempting a dual boot with the 64bit RC edition, but after booting to DVD I got the pretty windows logo then when the next screen would pop up it would be distorted and appear to be frozen so I never got it to work.

I would like to do a clean install if I get 7, but I think an upgrade would be far more convenient.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Clean install all the way. I've never done an upgrade but have seen others do it and it leaves a mess.
            Hurtz sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X