LED-LCD HDTVs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED-LCD HDTVs

Welp, the economy tanked, I got my U-verse HD, and now it's time to finally drop coin on an HDTV. Soooo... I did my research, went out to the retailers and took some notes. I went with the assumption I'd be looking at the cheaper/larger Plasmas and perhaps some uber-huge el cheapo DLPs.

Got to Brandsmart and happened to pass by some new LED displays and zomg! I must have one! Anyone have any experience owning an LG, Samsung, or Sharp LED? I'm specifically eyeballing the Sharps because they've got the best pricepoint and technically they're a Pioneer product if I recall. Cheapo casings, but good enough.

Anyways, moral of the story is I was absolutely blown away by some of this new gear that got released in July. Waaaaaay better than the "best" Plasmas at similar pricepoints (assuming the techs didnt fool with the drivers). The images were crisper, brighter, the refresh noticeably faster, and the color more vivid. Also, you could stand almost perpendicular to the display and not notice a change in the image.

Pretty amazing stuff. Only thing I saw that could touch them is the new LG 240hz LCDs that got released recently. The drivers on those LGs are mind-boggling for an LCD.

So, now my inner videophile is calling me to a 52" LED. That 36 month Best Buy financing program is tempting me. They're $500 more than the closest plasma, but man you can really see the difference.

What say you TG?

Re: LED-LCD HDTVs

My brother has a 67 inch LED DLP tv. It's pretty amazing. Very clear, and supports some sort of 3D technology.

Comment

Yah, I actually found a 65" Mitsu. DLP for only $800 - screen was huge... but the quality was severely lacking. Also, I live in a small apt. so 65" is probably too big. I'd really like to try the one you're talking about though, which is probably the Samsung LED DLP right? They have a 61" DLP that I've heard is pretty much one of the best TVs of 2008.

If I can find one... (which so far I cant)

But, really... if you've got a chance. Go check out the 52" Sharp or the 46-55" Samsung LED-LCD. They'll blow you away. The Sharp for the price was by far the best TV in the store.

Comment

I posted a few good articles here in the past months about LCDs and even about LED LCDs. Lots of review sites are saying the new Samsung LED TVs are the best LCD on the market. There model numbers start with "UN". Bestbuy has a bunch of them and are advertised every week in the sales flier. They are more expensive, and a lot of people are saying the normal Samsung LCDs, like the LN46b650 will look just as good to most people, and can be found for $1,600 or less. Last years model, the LN46a650 is also considered top notch, and is close to $1,000. With Samsung, the first part of the number (like 46) is the size, and the 2nd is the model #, and is usually like 650, 750, 850, and 950 for normal LCD, and like 6000, 7000, and 8000 for the LED LCDs. Bestbuy actually gets their own special versions that are like 6100, 7100, etc. They are supposed to come with a few special things, like built in art pictures that display, so if you had it mounted on the wall (the tv is only 1 inch thick) it will look like a picture frame.

Make sure you check Amazon.com prices. They have free shipping and payment plans, and are usually hundreds $$ less than Bestbuy and others. My buddy bought a 46a650 last year from Bestbuy because he wanted to take it home that day. I showed him he could save $650 by ordering on amazon, but he said he didn't want to wait 3-4 days for shipping. :(

I am really trying to hold off till the new HDMI 1.4 starts showing up in tv's. That allows a bunch of new stuff like internet over HDMI, which would mean 1 less wire running or not having to pay extra for the wireless usb doggle.

But if I was buying now I would look for what extra features the TV offered. Some let you stream the Netflix watch instantly to your TV, which would be awesome. Look at the placement of the HDMI ports and see how it will work for your setup at home. Like if it has the ports way up on the side, and it means you might end up with a lot of wires sticking out the side where you can see them, might want to look at a model with the HDMI on the bottom facing down. And you can never have too many ports and connection options. At LEAST 2 HDMI, but hopefully more. You never know if you are going to end up with like a PS3, Xbox, Wee, DVD player, Surround Sound System, etc.

Also people suggest even if you buy online, go look at a model in a store and play with the remote and with the menus. If it bugs the hell out of you at the store, it will be even worse at home having to use it all the time.

And on the other hand if you are going to buy from a local store, make sure you go to a bunch of sites and check other buyer's reviews. Amazon.com, Newegg, Bestbuy.com, and others all have tons of buyer reviews, many of them very in depth like they belong in a magazine article. For instance read this review on one of the new Samsung LED tv's:
        http://www.amazon.com/review/R184I8A...R184I8AEX964NN

That is pretty much the top end 55" model.

There are tons more just like it on most models. Bestbuy has 21 reviews for that same TV, and it has 5/5 stars. Notice it is $200 cheaper on Amazon. Those are just out on the market a couple months ago, and prices will be coming down.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've got a samsung 67" LED DLP. Its fairly awesome, I know the LEDs made a huge difference for DLPs and I imagine the same will hold true for LCDs. Samsung seems to be the best bet when it come to TVs anymore.

Comment

Gambit,

I've seen LED-LCD televisions and they are a nice improvement over LCD televisions without LED's. However, in my opinion, LCD televisions still don't have the quality of motion picture (fast moving action) or the color to black contrast that a quality plasma has. I've had my eye on a Panasonic plasma for some time now and I'll probably pull the trigger at the end of this year.

That being said, I'm not poo-pooing the LED-LCD's. While I don't take everything that the individual at HDGuru says as the gospel truth (www.hdguru.com) I do find this sippet from his review of the Samsung LED-LCD television (http://hdguru.com/samsung-un46b8000-...st-review/429/) interesting:
            While Samsung identifies these new, thin sets as “LED TVs” in its ads and on the shipping cartons, and while its website proclaims “a new HDTV technology…,” this is simply not the case.

These sets use conventional LCD (liquid crystal display) technology. White LEDs (light emitting diodes) mounted around the bezel edge, instead of more conventional means of illumination, provide panel backlighting.

There are true LED displays, of course, like Mitsubishi’s Diamond Vision and Panasonic’s Astrovision, used as giant outdoor displays in stadiums and in New York’s Times Square, that utilize up to 30 million red, blue and green LEDs to produce a full-color HD image.

Best Buy piles on, mimicking Samsung’s advertising in its weekly circular, listing these sets as LED HDTVs, while other LCD-based sets are identified as “LCD HDTVs.” In-store shelf tags also identify the televisions as “LED HDTVs” (see photos).

LED backlighting is hardly new technology. Sony introduced the first LED backlit LCD HDTVs in Japan over five years ago and the first in the US in 2005. Sony first introduced edge-mounted LED LCD TVs in 2008.

So, despite Samsung’s position, large flat screen HDTVs continue to use one of two technologies: LCD and plasma. LCD sets not using LED backlighting, use fluorescent lamps (usually a type known as CCFL). So, should you choose to buy one of these ultra-thin new Samsungs, keep in mind you’re not buying “new technology,” never mind a scaled down version of a Diamond Vision football stadium display!
            Personally, I saw one of these yesterday and I fell in love: http://hdguru.com/the-new-king-of-hd...-reviewed/458/
            Last edited by Damonte; 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

That review for the panisonic is really good, and drool worthy. But I doubt I personally will go plasma due to the higher power needs, even in standby mode. The state of Cali is even trying to stop selling them because of the power drain.

They do have very good blacks though, and other benifits.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I don't own a LED LCD TV, but I do have a netbook with a LED-backlit LCD panel. Color reproduction is great. Of course, power consumption isn't reduced all that much and response time hasn't improved since it's not a OLED display (like that of my S9 PMP).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That V10 is a great monitor and I plan on looking at one today if I can find one. It's pretty much the only Plasma imo that holds a candle to LG and Sharp's new LED-LCDs (in that pricepoint.) As for Samsung's LED-LCDs.... it's a phreakish picture. Kinda like looking at a bodybuilding contest for TVs wherein the Samsung is Teddy Atlas. I dont care what review you read pro/con against the new Samsungs but they're simply amazing - BUT, too much money for the slight increase in performance from cheaper LGs and Sharps.

Damonte, in a side-by-side image processing contest the new 240Hz LG LCDs (with or w/o LED) and the new Sharp LED blew away the Plasmas I looked at. The drivers on those sets are pretty amazing. Now, I suspected the Plasmas were using their built-in decoders, which is a no-no... so when I look today I'm going to make sure to trace where the inputs are coming from.

Plasmas are always pretty much "monitors" and never make good stand-alone TVs.

Comment

Gambit, I'm not surprised that side-by-side comparisons of the new 240Hz LCDs compared to the plasmas (that they had) made the plasmas look bad.

Most plasmas are not very high quality. Most. And the volume of Plasmas produced is dwarfed by the volume of LCD's, so your variety isn't as good.

Also, give some consideration to the lighting situation when you're doing the comparison and how it stacks up to the lighting where you intent to install your television. I found the following article an interesting read: http://hdguru.com/how-retailers-use-...tv-buyers/467/

While the immediate lighting area of the BestBuy I visited was less than the rest of the store, I'm curious how the overall ambient lighting affected my perception now. It's border-line conspiracy theory so take it with a grain of salt, of course.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

While on the subject, the other day Gizmodo posted an article for people to post their home theaters. It will take all your will power not to be jealous. Good luck:

http://gizmodo.com/5335872/10-of-you...etups/gallery/

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well, I checked the V10 and re-looked at the Sharp LED (the sharp is 120Hz btw) and man, the V10 is nice. It's tough to pick out the improved processing on the V10 from the G10, but it's there. The Sharp though, still pops out of the picture. But I still have trouble figuring out HOW... word is there's some patent issues with the Sharp infringing on the new Samsungs, which explains why the quality at that price. There's nothing on the specs that really says why thouh.

Looks like my 61" DLP deal is falling also, so I might be out of the rear-proj. game unless I go Mitsu... which I dont want to do.

Also found some REALLY nice 60" Plasmas from LG... (sigh) I cant decide.
                        Last edited by Gambit7; 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X