Certifications really worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certifications really worth it?

Are the CompTia certs really worth it? I was thinking of studying for some of them but have heard conflicting reports to their worth.

I had teachers in school who didn't have them, said they'd never bother with them.

I figure that they'd look great on a resume, but I don't want to waste my time and money studying and taking the tests if it'll just get brushed off by an employer.

Thoughts?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Certifications really worth it?

It all depends on how the job market is in your area is. If it's diffucult to break into the IT industry then I'd say ya go for it. If it's not then you're wasting your money. I've been in IT for over 12 years and my employer sends me off on course's all the time but I hardly every write the certifications. I won't make any more money if I got them, it's more or a personal developement thing. If I didn't have the experience and was looking for a job then I probobly would do the certs to go on a resume. You gotta have some paper to go on a resume or you won't get a look in. I've done the A+ and Security + certs in class but have never done the certs. When I was younger and was looking to break into the industry I did the MCSE courses and wrote the certs plus have a diploma in Computer Support and Programming. I don't bother with certs anymore but they do look good on a resume if your trying to catch an employer's eye / break into the industry. If I had my time back I would have done a Degree in IT but I'm too old for that **** now.
    Hurtz sigpic

Comment

In my experience, I've had a mixed bag the past 8 years. I've had employers hire me in as a preference over those with a degree, because I was more "hands on".

On the other hand, I've been overlooked by employers and otherwise "immediately disqualified" simply because I didn't waste money on a piece of paper saying that I spent a couple hundred dollars on CompTia+ (or whatever the A+ equivalent is) test that tell people that I know what I already know.

My resume and job history clearly outline the responsibilities I've had, and the knowledge I have, based off of what I listed as known hardware/software platforms, my achievements and projects in past jobs, etc. At this point, I won't bother with MCSE or any other certifications along that level because I've already successfully done a great many things that those cover. The rest of what I would have to say, is a rant, so I'll leave it at what I typed above.

If you're relatively inexperienced, then the certs would be more valuable. If you're already a few years in, certs that may "round out" your experience or be in a part of the field that you haven't worked in, would help and add breadth to your resume. If you're a bit far along, then there isn't much point unless you're purposely pursuing something you haven't done before.

Lastly, as previously mentioned, it really depends on the job market, and it depends on WHAT market you're in. I had a much easier time finding work, and job requirements are different, qualifications are more forgiving IMHO, job descriptions make more sense, etc..... out in the west than they are in the east. But then again, the east part of the country tends to be a bit behind the times anyhow ;)

My name is Spulat, and I've suffered through IT for 8 years now.... *sits down* :D
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Hi Spulat...

Well my brother-in-law is a network tech/consultant locally here in Grand Rapids. He doesn't have any certs, yet runs the IT department at his work. He got the job from a temp agency after the prior techs jumped ship (taking a few of the consultant clients with them) He was able to quickly prove himself and had been with his employer for about five years now.

They just hired a guy that had all of her certs and as my brother-in-law put it, the new guy doesn't know %^&*.

In sort: certs can get your foot in the door, but what keeps you there is your skill. However an impressive resume helps with getting your foot in the door as well ;)
        ~ Draken

Comment

I was looking to take the Linux+ and maybe Security+. I just didn't want to even get into it if most people think that they are just worthless. I mean it takes awhile to study enough for the test so I didn't want to waste my time.

Maybe I will look into getting some prep books. Might as well go this route since I don't have the time nor the money to go back to school right now.

Comment

More or less the same story here. Certs are generally good enough to get you an interview, but most of the companies I had talked to didn't put much stock in them as qualifications because they've all had cert people that didn't pan out. My current company hasn't bothered requiring certifications for the last 5 or 6 years.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I work in Tech Support right now for AAC devices and I desperately want a new job. I was looking at going back to school but I cannot afford to quit my job and go back. I figured I could do some of these certs while still working to make myself look better as I look for a new job.

Comment

In that case I would say go for it... Certs alone are meaningless, Certs with experience are what get you places...

Worst case try calling local companies and see if you can talk to the department head or a hiring manager, ask them for a bit of their time and ask then what they are looking for in a candidate. If you can get someone to chat with you, you may be able to open some doors as well as get a better understanding of what a company is looking for.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X