X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus Bulletin tests 35 antiviruses, 11 fail, including Symantec

Interesting article about a review of antivirus programs:

Virus Bulletin tests 35 antiviruses, 11 fail, including Symantec

In order to pass the basic requirements of the test, applications must detect all malware known to be "In the Wild" while not presenting any false positives. The products are tested in their default settings and must succeed in both on-demand and on-access detections.
    Anybody here using any in the fail category?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Virus Bulletin tests 35 antiviruses, 11 fail, including Symantec

I had just switched my laptop off of symantic the other day and over to Avast. To be fair though Symantic only missed 2 while some of the others that failed missed well over 100 with the highest at 2897 misses. Still for such a big provider, they should do better.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Went from Norton subscription to AVG free when i built my computer. The account wouldn't transfer so i figured why not.

Works and runs a lot better.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

My ESET NOD32 Antivirus really works well for me, and its great to hear that they passed another test. ^^ Been using them for a while now, they really are great.

Comment

nod32 is amazing...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

I use Norton, but with my new family computer we got a great deal on ESET NOD32 Antivirus group license. Is it that much better than Norton? Should I install it right away?

Comment

I tried AVG and 7.0 was excellent, but version 8.0 went in the other direction. So I switched to Avast! and haven't turned back. Although today, I got a malware/virus attack that came from tactical gamer. Avast! Home edition never picked it up and I had to manually fight it. (IE; closing out of the right windows) It did get viruses on other sites before they infected my computer.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I tried a trial of Agnitum Outpost on my old XP machine a while back. Otherwise, AVG, Avast, and Avira are all in the pass list. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                  Although today, I got a malware/virus attack that came from tactical gamer.
                  Details, please! How did you know it came from TG, and what are the steps to reproduce? (So admins can track it down and keep others from getting it.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I think it is a false positive. I have gotten a AV warning from the TG site before, and posted in the contact an admin forum about it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hey Mech Warrior, I got the same thing a few days ago too. I was reading through Hardware & Software Discussion then all of a sudden this virus doctor thing popped up and started scanning my pc and windows popping up asking me to install this program and a few others. Everytime I went to close it they kept popping up. I had to go to task manager & close internet explorer. I then spent a half hour looking through program files and the registry to see if anything got downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        Details, please! How did you know it came from TG, and what are the steps to reproduce? (So admins can track it down and keep others from getting it.)
                        It was a hacked page on The Five Word Thread Revisited. I've tried to look for it but it only happened once and I am not able duplicate this attack.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

NOD32 I think is great. A lot better than most I have tried and it also doesn't slow down my computer a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                            It was a hacked page on The Five Word Thread Revisited. I've tried to look for it but it only happened once and I am not able duplicate this attack.
                            I pegged one on a thread in general around the same time. It probably wasn't from TG but rather a hacked banner ad would be my guess. I haven't seen it since.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Well AVG pasted so I'm happy, I might switch to Avast tho as I'm hearing good things about it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X