Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spilled beer on laptop!

Ok, here is the story.

The other night, I accidentally spilled some beer on my buddies laptop keyboard. It was NOT alot, maybe a splash or so. I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. I turned it upside down and let the beer drip out. The next morning, I turned it on to a constant beeping sound. I kind of sounds like a button that is constantly being pressed down. I don't believe that anything got fried because other than the beeping, everything works fine. Also, some of the keys does not seem to respond. But in the past few days, some of the keys started to work again. But some still doesn't work. Is there anything that I can do short of taking it to a repair shop? Is it totally screwed?

Dirt
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Spilled beer on laptop!

Dirt take the keys off (or just the ones that don't work) and clean them again with a damp cloth and a health dose of canned air. That might work. Other than that I don't know.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Its prolly not screwed. If I were you I would just let it sit for a week to dry out. Dont use it or it could cause damage. What is the make and model of the laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
        What is the make and model of the laptop?
        Its a HP Pavilion dv2700.
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Dirtboy's Beer (miller Lite) = water. So you spilled water on the keyboard, not beer. Just wanted to make that clear. Hopefully you get a response, but if you are getting a beeping sound...I bet it is not good.
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

A lot of laptop keyboards and keyboards in general have small rubber nipples with a conductive metallic peice at the tip that when depressed makes the connection on the keyboard circuit board.

My guess is those now need cleaned as the beer has fouled the contact surface. Just be careful removing the keys as a lot of times they are connected with very flimsy plastic brackets. Some non drinkable alchohol (no more beer) and a rag (q-tip maybe) should take care of the issue.
            |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Buy some 97% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart (it'd be in pharmacy) and soak it in that, then drain out and spray dry with compressed air. Best way to clear up sticky keyboards. Laptop keyboards are removable, but some are easier than others. They all generally boil down to some screws and a ribbon cable.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295820.pdf

Page 76, the pavillions have very easy to remove keyboards if you want to try to go that route.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Is it a constant beeping when you power on the laptop as it starts boot up? If so its a stuck key. My girlfriends laptop had the same problem, Dell came out and replaced the keyboard and mouse pad, no charge, but it was under warrenty still.

Comment

Beer is basically sugar-water and alcohol, with impurities. Very pure water won't hurt electronics (nor does it easily conduct electricity), but add any impurities and it acts like battery acid.

I like to have coffee at my desk. About 15 years ago I had a styrofoam cup of coffee (sugar and cream) at the edge of my desk by the space bar, and my boss comes in and backs into it, dumping the whole cup into the keyboard of my Sun workstation. NOT a cheap keyboard. And of course it stopped working.

So I took it to the office kitchenette and disassembled it and rinsed it all out. After reassembly, it still didn't work. Some intensive use of the Mark I Eyeball revealed some corrosion under an inductor, so I had to get a small brush, lift the inductor, and clean under it to remove the short. After that, the keyboard worked like new.

On another occasion, I figured I'd disassemble a misbehaving keyboard and clean it out. I found that the active component was two sheets of transparent plastic with the circuitry printed on the outside surfaces. I reassembled it damp, and it didn't work. It turned out that the water was wicking up between the plastic sheets and interfering with the capacitance of each key circuit. I had to take it apart again and let it get bone dry before reassembling it, after which it worked flawlessly.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X