The 16 Most Essential Firefox 3.5 Add-ons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 16 Most Essential Firefox 3.5 Add-ons

We have had a few threads about our fav. add-ons, and MaximumPC just posted their favs. Lots of good ones including a few I had never heard of:

The 16 Most Essential Firefox 3.5 Add-ons

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The 16 Most Essential Firefox 3.5 Add-ons

Yikes, there were like 2 on that list I use and neither I would consider essential. They missed the absolutely essential one because it hurts them directly.

AdBlock+ - Removes almost all ads from almost all web pages.

What makes it essential?

One of the vectors of recent keylogging software that plagued some games came through ads served through sites related to those games.

Yeah, having buttons for music is more essential than that!? Pft.
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Wow. Fail. The only one I have on that list is Foxytunes, because I'm lazy. They skipped Adblock Plus, as already mentioned, and NoScript, which blocks flash and etc, unless you specifically allow it. All the other ones they mentioned are either not the best available for that function or are almost entirely useless.

Of course, I /do/ have like 15 addons, but then I like my FF to look good, and as already mentioned, I'm lazy.
      "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

The only one in that list I use is VideoDownloadHelper. I might give Last Pass, Google Locator, and Full Screen HTML 5 a try. Don't need or use the other ones.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 2 most essential for me are NoScript and FlashBlock, followed by PDFDownload. All serve to block unwanted content downloads until they can be checked for being from a reputable source.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Xmarks has proven to be an invaluable add-in, and I like the fact that I can sync my bookmarks across the board.

I got rather upset about a month back when it fubar'ed all my bookmarks, due to a bug in a previous Firefox build. However, I discovered yesterday that there is (now?) a Recovery feature that allows you to go back 6 months. So I shuffled my bookmarks, brought back the archives, and bam... I have all my bookmarks back. It really should be one of the top 3 most essential.

It also has a password manager, which basically renders LastPass redundant.

I've had IEtab before, but ended up not really using it. It wasn't a big deal to just load up an instance of IE really quick.

Otherwise, for the most part, I wouldn't call nearly any of those add-ons "essential".
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Most of those aren't really 'essential'. More like personal preference. The only essential add-on for me would be Adblock Plus.

Comment

The one that have which isn't listed is downthemall. Not only does it greatly accelerate download times I find, as a college student, most teachers publish everything online, which you later need to download. Instead of downloading each on individually, you can download everything with just one click. When you got pages with like 30 downloads, this makes it a lot, easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
                  The one that have which isn't listed is Pr0nloadthemall. Not only does it greatly accelerate download times I find, as a college student, most teachers publish everything online, which you later need to download. Instead of downloading each on individually, you can download everything with just one click. When you got pages with like 30 downloads, this makes it a lot, easier.
                  Fixed it for ya. :)
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    downloadthemall! is actually quite useful. If I'm dling something large, say, a game demo, it's a substantial speed increase over standard FF dl manager. Plus shiny features.
                    "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Hey, i never said it was ONLY good for college student trying to get ahead on study's. If that was the case, then I would not have a need for it.

Comment

Adblock and Noscript are the only two essential plugins, everything else adds functionality, but these make surfing enjoyable.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I thought that's what FlashGot was for. ;)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X