PC Case help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Case help

I'm building a PC for someone, and after purchasing the Mobo, RAM, GPU... I now find out they need the case to fit in a desk cuboard 7.5" wide x 18" high x 18" deep. The case I chose (CM Storm Scout) is TOO BIG at 8.6" x 19.2" x 19.5" :row__628:. Thankfully, I only installed the Mobo, CPU, Ram and PSU for testing and can pull those out to return the case.

Dilemma: I need the case to fit a 10.5" GPU card (ATI 4870) without interfering with 4 HDD and have at least a few fans no less than 120mm. The cases I've looked at with less than 18" depth/height (17" considering room for air and rear cables) don't have the depth inside to allow the GPU card room without hitting or encroachinng on the HDD rails/slots.

I came close with the Antec 300, which is a nice case, but at 8.1" x 18.3" x 18" it just misses the measurements required.

The PC is going to be their primary PC, plus gaming. Parts: Asus P5Q-E, Intel Q9550 + OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler, Corsair 750W PSU, G.Skill DDR2 1100 (4GB), 1 160GB RaptorX, 2 WD500GB Raid1, 1 1TB hdd drive and 2 DVDR Drives. The case must now have front power/usb/audio ports as well since the case will only have access to the front - once in the cuboard.

Anyone have any suggestions? No cheap plastic cases allowed.

:icon_frow
    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
    sigpic

Re: PC Case help

He needs a new desk, if he wants a mid-tower case. How is air going to circulate well if there's no room in there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121067

Doesn't look like a particularly good case to me, but it'll fit - barely. And, the last reviewer thinks the listed dimensions are wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811153086

Comment

i agree if youre going to be doing gaming the PC needs to be siting in open air, no ifs ands or buts about it

otherwise no matter how well you build it, hell suffer instability form heat and likely assume it was your PC build that is the cause instead of his desk

I would simply tell him that he has to sit the PC outside th desk if he wants to have a gaming rig of any real power..OR buy a water cooling kit where the radiator is placed outside the desk

and all major components CPU GPU and possibly northbridge or ram need to be cooled via said water system

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I agree with what they said above about needing air flow, and that gfx. card can get very hot. But last year we had a really good article where someone was in the same situation, and we had some good ideas for him:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...tml#post935224

putting some port hole fans in near the back will help with air flow.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Why the mish-mash of drive sizes? I'd pull most of those drives out and use them as externals for backup. Once you're down to 1 or 2 drives, you have more options on cases.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

yeah, pull the HDDs and put external, theyll only impede airflow, make cable management harder, and generate more heat in an already hot case

as for putting a case fan in the back of the desk..itd be better than nothing but if youre going to go that extreme, you might as well just pull the whole back of the desk for that portion of the desk off, giving you easier access to your cables, the best airflow possible, and more room for depth

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Too much work to do just have him buy a new desk.

Comment

I agree with all of you 100%!!!!!

Nice link Bamboo - I may explore those options. That Foxconn case, Sordavie, hits the measurements, its just hard to judge the interior size. H20, not an option due to budget retraints.

Too keep it simple, my thoughts are to have him look at the setup in the CM case, which he originally approved, point out all the positives and suggest he use that cuboard for books, manuals, DVD's etc. - and put the case on the floor beside it. If not, I'll tell him a reorder will be involve for a mATX board, smaller GPU and different HDD setup to fit in a minitower... which I know he won't like

Thanks, Zip

sigpic

Comment

Zippy, might want to PM Sharingan (the guy from the other thread) because we actually talked a lot more about it recently on xfire and PMs. That thread is old, but he just got his new computer about a month ago. Find out what he ended up doing.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Zippy, might want to PM Sharingan (the guy from the other thread) because we actually talked a lot more about it recently on xfire and PMs. That thread is old, but he just got his new computer about a month ago. Find out what he ended up doing.
                    Thanks. If my friend really wants to put it in the cuboard then I'll check with Sharingan.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                      yeah, pull the HDDs and put external, theyll only impede airflow, make cable management harder, and generate more heat in an already hot case
                      I didn't mean to suggest that the extra drives be left plugged in full time, but rather that they be used for backup. I don't see the value in having all those extra spindles going all the time.

If you're building an always-on library, you could put drives in a SAN, perhaps using a NSLU2. Then you can put it somewhere where there's adequate air flow, instead of under a cramped desk.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X