PCIe x16 vs PCIe x16 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIe x16 vs PCIe x16 2.0

So my 8800 GTX recently died, and since I did not register it I can not RMA it. So I am looking at getting the 260 GTX. If I am gong to spend money on a card I might as well upgrade it a bit.

Now the 260 GTX uses PCIe x16 2.0, and my motherboard has just a PCIe x16. Now I know you can stick a 2.0 card in a non 2.0 slot and have it work. My question is will I see a hit in performance, and how much? I have read that a 2.0 offers way more bandwidth, and that it is probably not all used. The example was given of a golf cart driving on a highway with a speed limit of 500 on a non 2.0, and then on a highway with a limit of 2000. In both cases the golf cart is never going to meet the max speed. So does the 260 use up enough bandwidth as to see a performance hit on a non 2.0 slot is the question.

Really what I am looking for is something at the level of the 8800 GTX or better. So if the 260 GTX will do better than the 8800 even in a non 2.0 slot then I am happy.

Re: PCIe x16 vs PCIe x16 2.0

yes, you have the right idea
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

PCI-e 2.0 is backwards compatable with 1.0, so it will work fine.
      And the 260 should just about blow the 8800 away in many games.
      If I were you I would buy something like EVGA or one of the other makers that offer a step up program so you have the possibility to upgrade cheap in case the rumors turn out to be true about the next gen stuff being amazing. That is the latest word on the 300 series due out later this year.
      Problem is most step up programs are 3 months, an you might be just outside that window if they come out in Dec.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

So you are saying you should get the same performance from a 260 GTX regardless if it is plugged into a 1.0 or 2.0 slot?

Comment

Yes.
          From all reports I've seen, a 260 will not completly max out the PCI-E channel (at least not a 16X channel).
          One of the big things 2.0 gives you is actually more power that it can deliver to the card and not have to go through the extra plug in wires.
          Of course there is already a lot of talk about PCI-E 3.0 as well.
          Buy the card and you will be happy.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Yes.
            From all reports I've seen, a 260 will not completly max out the PCI-E channel (at least not a 16X channel).
            One of the big things 2.0 gives you is actually more power that it can deliver to the card and not have to go through the extra plug in wires.
            Of course there is already a lot of talk about PCI-E 3.0 as well.
            Buy the card and you will be happy.
            Thanks for the info all, going to go and get the 260 then. I was going to get a 9800 GTX (which is close to the 8800 as a replacement) but for 25 bucks more I can get the 260.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
              Thanks for the info all, going to go and get the 260 then. I was going to get a 9800 GTX (which is close to the 8800 as a replacement) but for 25 bucks more I can get the 260.
              best $25 you will ever spend
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Now what is the difference between the superclocked 260 and the standard. I assume it is the exact same just one comes overclocked. If I went into the BIOS and upped the voltage/timing on the standard 260 to overclock to the same speed of the superclocked version would they both have the same stability?

Comment

Yup, the only difference really is that buying it factory clocked means it'll be guaranteed to run at that speed whereas you may get a bad chip that can only run on stock speeds if you just buy the regular version. Most of the time you'll end up with a chip that can do pretty much the same as the factory overclocked version.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

hmm well 5 bucks it is not a bad bet, plus after this last fiasco buying the SC version I do not have to worry about going out of warranty. If they can even tell you have overed clocked it. Now I just saw the thread bamboo posted about the SSC, that is 20 bucks more so I am debating getting that one now.

I mean a guaranteed 675 clocked speed seems pretty sweet, that is 100 over the original and 50 over the SC.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Exp...CI_Express_2.0
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well after doing some research it seems each jump(stock to SC to SSC) will net you a few frames in a game. Also all the cards are not exactly the same, you can not get a normal card and be guaranteed it can be OC'ed to SC or SSC speed and be guaranteed to be stable. So the jump to SC for 5 bucks seemed like a good buy to me, but the jump to SSC with a few more frames at the cost of 20 bucks did not seem like it would be worth it. I can take that 20 bucks and put it towards some RAM/CPU or what ever is holding back my system.

So I will soon be the proud owner of a new 260 GTX SC
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

Thanks for the help!

Comment

That is a good card, and even comes with free Batman, which if you saw in the general forum the demo rocks. I will probably buy the game as well.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

For $100.00 more you should check out the EVGA 896-P3-1173-AR GeForce GTX 275 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card at newegg.

Comment

Eh 100 bucks is a little more than I am looking to spend. Especially saying the 260 will probably hot a bottle neck with my 2 year old CPU.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X