No announcement yet.

*Happy Dance* Mini 10v time, but no XP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Happy Dance* Mini 10v time, but no XP!

Finally decided to shell out the cash for a Mini 10v w/Ubuntu. Upside, supporting Linux commercially. Downside, having to wait a month for Dell to ship a machine I could buy this afternoon with XP and have Ubuntu on it by dinner. *sigh* Oh well.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Re: *Happy Dance* Mini 10v time, but no XP!

Well, Dell must've had their Spidey sense tingle. They shipped it a few weeks early and I got 2 days ago. Great little machine, does everything that I ask of it. Took a little tweaking to get to my liking but I expect that of any computer (or appliance, etc). Obviously it doesn't play games but it's great to have at my elbow for web/email/IM access in a package that doesn't take up a horrible amount of desk space.

Best part is that it has Linux preinstalled and everything just worked out of the box. Wireless was perfect. Webcam works (though I couldn't care less for it). Only needed to add a few packages of software. One or two pieces were slightly out of date but that's easily addressed. Overall well worth the $$ I shelled out.
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Nice. I'm looking into a future tablet MID so I can read e-books, comics, and surf the web without lugging around my netbook (Linux one needs repairs).

How do you like yours so far? Which flavor came with it?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It came with Ubuntu 8.04 modified slightly by Dell. Mainly to get things working. However those changes have made it into the mainline of Ubuntu. In fact Ubuntu now has a version called Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR). UNR is designed with the smaller screens of netbooks in mind and comes with a lot of the modifications needed to run on Netbooks with minimal tweaking.

As for my thoughts on the matter I've put my first impressions on a blog post. The cliff notes version is that I love this machine and am glad I bought it. There have been a few quirks to get over but nothing that a lay person would noticed nor that any geek worth their chops would be stymied by.

The only thing that concerns me right now is that Pidgin is stuck on v2.4.3. Which is to be expected since this is the April 2008 release of Ubuntu. The problem is somewhere between 2.4.3 and the current version of 2.6.1 Yahoo changed their authentication scheme. So i can't use Y! chat on my netbook. When my wife is at home she uses Y! chat. Normally this isn't too bad of a problem as I could use the Hardy backports. However those are only for the i386 architecture and this is a different processor. So no backports.

Minor issue, really, as everything else on the machine (Tbird, Firefox, Flash, etc) work just fine. If it really bugged me I'd get the 9.04 UNR and install it. However I am not in the mood to risk breaking other parts of the machine just to fix that. :)

Comment

Meh, hate to reply to myself but, Pidgin problem fixed. The Pidgin developers maintain a PPA repo and have the package compiled for the LPIA arch. Add in their repo, got the latest version of Pidgin for 8.04 LPIA. :D

I think that about covers it.

Comment

Ah. I'm familiar with Ubuntu. Though I didn't like UNR that much. Ended up reverting back to Desktop 9.04 for my AA1 after using UNR 9.04 for a few days.

UNR and Ubuntu 9.04 had/has a issue with the SD card not mounting when inserted. The workaround was to insert the SD card first before booting up the machine. Personally, I tried it and still couldn't get the SD to mount. Not sure if the same issue is present in 8.04 UNR.

Though the updated Intel open-source driver is quite a bit better than the old one in 8.04. Playback of video is smoother.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X