Playstation3 Slim announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation3 Slim announced

Suprised no one else posted this as much as we have talked about the PS3. Still one of the best and cheapest Blue-ray players out, plus plays games and other stuff. Now if only they would add Hulu and Netflix support, I would be standing in line right now to preorder this new slim.

Links:
    Sony unveils slimmer PS3: $300, lands in September (updated!)

PS3 Slim sized up: smaller, deeper, no Linux or PS2 compatibility

PlayStation 3 Slim unboxing and hands-on!

The PS3 Slim Up Close and Hands On

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Playstation3 Slim announced

No linux? boo.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Actually, you can do Hulu and Netflix already. Just buy a $30 program called PlayOn. Much cheaper overall than the XBL Gold subscription you'd normally pay for to have your netflix on the 360.

And if you want Linux, they are honoring the new $300 price on the current PS3 fat, so hurry up and buy one if that's an issue for you.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm thinking of just going with a nettop box instead of a PS3 for when I get a big screen.
        That would give me full computer capibility, and they run as low as $299. A bit more if you want a dual core one that runs good 1080p.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Can you play video files from the USB on the PS3?

Comment

No Linux = me sticking with my 80gb brick.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
              Can you play video files from the USB on the PS3?
              Yup. You can play video/mp3/photo files straight from a usb drive, sd cards, memory sticks, external hard drives, etc.. You'd be amazed at the divx capabilities of this thing. I don't bother with a USB stick anymore, though. I just stream everything wirelessly over my network to the PS3.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Damonte plans to use this device for his Blu-Ray and Netflix goodness.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

More stuff to know:

10 Things You Need to Know About the PS3 Slim

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm happy with my 80Gb Mammoth. Cheaper than any media PC I could have put together. Only thing it's missing is DVR functionality. If it had that it'd be truly epic.

I'm curious as to how the slim will handle heat. I was having overheating problems on my larger 80 Gb with plenty of space for airflow. Though it consumes a few watts less power than it's bigger brother, I don't know if that really translates into better heat dissipation.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

They issued a price cut on the currently sold large models to match the PS3 Slim's price point as well, so if you want the full functionality go out and buy a current model PS3 at the new price.

Could argue about the size difference but I don't see why, my PS3 is far from the largest item in my entertainment system.

In other news, PlayOn is an awesome program, but it's now $40. Upside is that you can stream pretty much anything that exists on the internet in streaming form, either natively (hulu, youtube, netflix) or through a plug-in.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I pretty much agree with one of the commenters on the post's page, about a page down. Most of those things are cons, and I can understand "taking away" to bring the price down but it seems like they cut a few too many things out.
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                          Though it consumes a few watts less power than it's bigger brother, I don't know if that really translates into better heat dissipation.
                          Depends on their cooling setup more than anything, but if it's drawing less W then it's generating less heat in general. Who knows what kind of cutbacks they made to the heatsinks and fans for space though.
                          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

there is also a 45nm cell processor now instead of the 65nm verson
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

i will keep my 60gb holy grail of goodness.... stole it on ebay for 150.00

awesome story, and I still laugh at the thought...

was looking for a blu-ray player, and searched ebay for a ps3... came across this auction... "be sure to read carefully...." whatever. the guy specialized in selling broken electronics.

item condition - missing parts...
                              parts missing - original box, manual, power cable, a/v cable, controller charging cable...
                              wait...
                              had to read it 5 times to make sure I was reading everything correctly...

sweetness...

watched it for 4 days... 70 bucks... never moved. waited till just seconds left. put in my max bid... got it for 135... 15 shipping... not even a scratch.

hehehe... deal of the year.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X