• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Compatibility Issue PLEASE HELP

So a monitor with this outlet:

Fits into here:

But (obviously) not into here:

So I need to know what's what. Should I just get a new monitor (if so, what cables do I need to fit into here) or I'm guessing I can also get an adapter. Whether I get an adapter or a new monitor has some other factors I'll judge separately, but I just need to get some names of what's what so I know what I'm dealing with here. Internet search engines have not been my friend when trying to deal with this problem, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Many, many thanks in advance for anyone taking out their time to assist me with this problem.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: Monitor Compatibility Issue PLEASE HELP

In simple terms:

Your monitor has a VGA connector. Your new video card has DVI connectors, which are modern connectors.

Your video card SHOULD have come with a VGA-DVI adapter, if not, once can be had. What kind of monitor do you have? What size? is it an old CRT or an LCD?
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

You can get an adapter for your monitor cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

They look like that and can be really cheap to buy.

Not all video cards come with adapters nowadays. My friend bought a EVGA GTX260 last year and I had to give him one.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, I would be surprised if your video card box didn't have one of those in the packaging somewhere. If you weren't overseas I'd mail it to ya, but i don't think I can spare the postage at the moment.

The adapter is about one inch long and usually silver.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Thanks hugely for the help guys, I just needed some names for the stuff so I knew what I was dealing with.

As for your questions Spulat on what type of monitor it is, I have no idea. My old one fluffed up and I got this one in dodgy circumstances from the back of some random dude's car for cheap and just plugged it in and went on with my life. I do know it's roughly 17" :).

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            Yeah, I would be surprised if your video card box didn't have one of those in the packaging somewhere. If you weren't overseas I'd mail it to ya, but i don't think I can spare the postage at the moment.

The adapter is about one inch long and usually silver.
            Ah yes I see it, just checked the packaging and I got it!

Awesome! Cheers! (Forgive my noobiness)

Panic Over! Hooray! Too many exclamations marks!!!! YEAHHH!!!

Comment

It's a 17" monitor. OK. CRT is the old big glass screen monitors, and I'm hoping you do know what an LCD monitor is by now... :)

Glad to see you found the adapter.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Ah yes, LCD it is then.

I've just never bothered to find out the difference between LCD, Plasma and all that stuff (had no idea what CRT meant :D).

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
                  Ah yes, LCD it is then.

I've just never bothered to find out the difference between LCD, Plasma and all that stuff (had no idea what CRT meant :D).
                  You might double check as almost all LCDs have the DVI connector and it will have a better signal if you have a DVI cable to connect them instead of using the adapter for the VGA cable.

Obviously if it is only VGA then go with what you have.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X