Win7 64-bit with only 3.25GB or usable RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 64-bit with only 3.25GB or usable RAM

So I have a bit of an odd situation it seems. Is there something I'm missing or is my 64-bit OS acting like a 32-bit for some reason?
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Win7 64-bit with only 3.25GB or usable RAM

How much RAM do you have installed? Are you sure you installed Win7 Beta/RC 64-bit and not 32-bit?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm pretty sure I would have checked that before making a post here. It seems like an update or something did it since it just automatically switched over but I don't see anything there to suggest something like that happened.

Comment

Do you have onboard video with RAM allocated to it? My laptop does the same exact thing and its because I have 256MB allocated to video thus giving me 3.75GB usable. Go into your bios and make sure the onboard is disabled and bring the ram allocation down to the minimum it allows. (unless its your only video)

Comment

Nope, no on board video, just a P35 chipset. I don't know the exact time frame but this has only showed up recently, it used to read and address all 4GB but as you can see now it does not.

Comment

Try reseatting your RAM modules. Otherwise, if that's not working, run Memtest86+ on startup to see if maybe one of the sticks went bad.

Is this the RC or Beta build?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I ran the built-in windows memory tester and it provided no errors, this is RC

Comment

I've been reading various forum threads elsewhere describing your exact same problem and answers run the gamut from "install more than 4 GBs of RAM" to "reseat RAM" to "Windows 7 is messed up".

So far, this one makes the most sense: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-986c9fe3475a

It seems Windows 7 RC/Beta is handling memory (physical) in a way that's different than in Vista or even XP. The tech helpers mention that you should enable "dynamic memory remapping" and "virtualization" in Windows 7. Otherwise, the memory issue you describe is known to MS and it's up to them to fix it.

There's a guess further down the thread that says one user's BIOS may be at fault in addressing what's actually available. Bunch of other guesses and such as well.

This other thread doesn't quite make sense to me. The first guy mentions that the 32-bit limitation is hardware-based and thus carried over to x86-64 Windows. Maybe some of the engineers here can explain that in detail and if it is even true. Somehow I doubt it since I'm using Vista x64 with 4 GBs of RAM.

I'm assuming you have newer hardware so a chipset limitation won't play into this scenario (like if you have the 945 chipset).
                Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the chipset you are using is possibly the culprit.

even under x64, some chipsets are limited to 4gb of TOTAL ram... laptops are notorious for using the 945 chipset - the last with the limitation - b/c it was cheaper to use an older platform that still accepted currect cpu's *read - less work for the oem* and more than 4gig ram in a laptop is prohibitively expensive right now. There is no way to fix it if you have a laptop. If it is a desktop, you have to upgrade the mobo to a higher chipset.

Vista actually made the 3.25 / 3.5 / 3.75 issue "go away" with sp1 by hiding the fact that is was not using it all and showing what was installed instead.

I guess they did away with this charade in 7.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

It is not the chipset since my P35 MoBo is limited to 8GB of RAM, but I found the solution.

A few weeks ago when I was trying to get a defective video card to work an Evga tech and I were looking around in the Bios. I changed a few things as instructed but to no avail for the GPU. One of the things changed was a option called Memory Remap Feature. This allowed remapping of overlapped PCI memory above total physical memory. Flip it back to enabled and I'm back to 4095MB of RAM.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...