Sound cards...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound cards...

OK... Thinking on my last new build I would be Cool... I avoided using the OnBoard Sound controller (which I had used in my previous builds) and went with a Razer Barracuda card. Well... That was a mistake.. a bit to Proprietary for my likes... I even have the Headset and No thanks...Doesn't work for me..and to yank the headset off the back of the card when I don't want to use the headset..YUK..
    So I was wondering.. is there a REAL hit when you use onboard sound these days?

Thanks
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Sound cards...

Unless you are a big audiophile, I doubt you will notice for gaming.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Should have went with the cheapo X-fi card. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but you can really tell the difference when playing and listening to music.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I have an xfi titanium sound card and I think it's great. I also use the onboard sound card. I hook up my Logitech speakers to the xfi and my headset and mic to the onboard sound. Never had an issue. I'm sure it slows things down slightly but not enough to notice. By using both onboard and the xfi i don't have to fool around with disconnecting the headset all the time. There maybe another way around this but I have found a better way to have speakers and headset working at the same time.
        Hurtz sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hurtz View Post
          I hook up my Logitech speakers to the xfi and my headset and mic to the onboard sound. Never had an issue. I'm sure it slows things down slightly but not enough to notice. By using both onboard and the xfi i don't have to fool around with disconnecting the headset all the time.
          Hmm...That may be an Idea... Thanks
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Hurtz View Post
            I have an xfi titanium sound card and I think it's great. I also use the onboard sound card. I hook up my Logitech speakers to the xfi and my headset and mic to the onboard sound. Never had an issue. I'm sure it slows things down slightly but not enough to notice. By using both onboard and the xfi i don't have to fool around with disconnecting the headset all the time. There maybe another way around this but I have found a better way to have speakers and headset working at the same time.
            I've done this before too and don't really notice a performance difference.

For gaming, I would recommend an X-Fi. You can go with other sound chips but it seems like a waste of money because you don't get the effects in games, even if sound quality is better. Although, I've noticed onboard sound to be noticeably worse than a sound card. Also, I find Creative drivers are really crappy. I assume any manufacturer that makes sound cards using X-Fi would use Creative drivers as well.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The onboard audio coming with motherboards these days is great for anybody who isn't an audiophile, if you're an audiophile though getting and x-fi is probably the absolutely wrong choice. The Asus Xonar cards are a step up and don't have broken drivers.

If you get a motherboard that isn't dirt cheap then it'll nearly match sound cards in quality. All the rumours about static and popping don't apply to motherboards these days.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X