No announcement yet.

Processors Bogged Down

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processors Bogged Down

I have an Intel 3.8 GHz CPU (in DXDiag it says it's 2 CPU's) and over the weekend when I was gone my mom installed WinFax and it started to go really slow, with System taking up 98-99% of the processing power. She scanned with MS A-S Beta and an Ad-Aware and didn't get anything, I got home and it takes about ten minutes from when I log on till I get just my wallpaper. I put it in safe mode and did two system restores, one from Wednesday and another from the 13th. Neither did anything, and I can't do an anti-virus scan either, in safe mode I can open our AV suite (PC-Cillin 2k5) but I can't get it to do a manual scan. In the end I tried to do an XP reinstall from our OEM recovery disc and that wouldnt work either. I have no idea what to do, my mom already uninstalled WinFax, and 4 System Restores haven't done anything.

Re: Processors Bogged Down

Run MSconfig and go to the start tab. Uncheck anything you can verify you don't need. The MS Spyware utility was running in my backround and it seemed to hog quite a bit of resources. That could be one you could unselect to free up some brain power. If you don't know what something is on the list you should look it up before turning it off.
    New to TG?

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed