Interesting BestBuy prebuilt i7 desktop sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting BestBuy prebuilt i7 desktop sale

You all know I always try to convince people to build their own systems, and part of the reason is to save a good deal of money over a prebuilt store bought. But looking at today's Bestbuy ad, I saw this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01

It has an Intel i7-920 CPU, 9gigs of Ram (can't find what speed, but still), a Razer Arctosa USB gaming keyboard, Vista 64 (with a free upgrade to Windows7 in Oct.), a 1TB HD, and get this, an Nvidia GTX260. You also get a 20" HD rez LCD.

All for $1,199. Ouch. That is about what you could build the tower alone for considering how expensive the x58 motherboards for i7 are. And that would be without the monitor, which I would use with whatever you have now so you could have a dual monitor setup.

Here is a link to the tower setup so you can look at the specs:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....366642&count=1

It has lots of good buyer reviews as well.
    I still think building yourself is best, but just passing on an interesting deal. :icon19:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Interesting BestBuy prebuilt i7 desktop sale

I did not see the MB model, if I could find that out I may have to grab one simply for the specs!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Only thing I can find is from searching the asus forums

The motherboard if you didn't know is a Rampage II GENE somewhat modified from the retail version. If you want a 'real' user manual for this you can get it under Rampage II GENE motherboards on this website. Just remember we don't have all the bells and whistles of the retail mobo.

This is one great overclocking machine if you are into that sort of thing.
      He said he got it up to 4.0, but he wiped the drive and installed Windows7 right after he opened the box.

Also found this review on Cnet:
      http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/asu...-33703094.html
      Yeah, they suck sometimes, but at least it has some more specs, like the ram is 1066 speed (not the highest, but still good and it is 9gigs, as if you could actually use that much :P)

It does say the PSU isn't that high end, so might need replacing if you ever go to like an SLI setup or something.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I threw together a newegg cart to compare prices of DIY vs. this pre-built, and my DIY is without a case, PSU, or mouse, so keep that in mind. I'm gonna mention this to my friend who's been putting off a build for some time now.

PDF is attached to post.

I as actually just over at Best Buy grabbing a CD and two games, and swung by to see if they had this in stock. They do, and they had it matched up with what I assume to be this monitor. Strange part is, the monitor had a HDMI sticker on it, claiming it had HDMI, but Best Buy's product page says no, so not 100% sure on that.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Anospa; 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Good post Anospa. Like I said, it is hard to beat that price.
          Too bad it is kind of a mid-size system. That is a really good motherboard, but just not as much room for future upgrades for hard core folks. Still, it does have enough room for like a dedicated sound card and probably a TV tuner if needed.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

WOW.

I might just do it.

I could, right now...

I was planning a build in OCT for windows 7, but if this comes with the upgrade...
            Skud

Comment

Seriously!

I just threw down major money on a new snowboard and a lot of new equipment. I project myself with a new build this time next year, but still, this is a nice system. Just gonna have to talk my friend into getting it so I can play around with it!

As for the motherboard, I've lived with 2 PCI slots till now. Like you said, sound card and tv tuner, but would love to have at least one more; its served me well for over 3 years now.

Comment

I saw it in the advert too... and thought....wow, from a big box store!

Comment

Well about 5 months ago i built my own I7, and it came out to about 1200 with monitor, Canadian. Granted, I have a few parts slightly weaker than the best buy one (only 640GB hard drive, 4870 512 vid card and 3 gig ram) but overall, looks like that system is about what you would pay for DIY.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X