lets talk routers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk routers.

wireless routers. I just bought a laptop and its Wireless N compliant. Well now i NEED a router that can give me some benefits of this New IEEE standard. I have the work horse LINKSYS WRT54GL. Amazing router, never had 1 single issue. But its time to upgrade. Im asking the experts. What should i be looking for and what do i need/dont need.

Lets keep this router around 130 or less. Wireless N and keep it name brand. Linksys Dlink Netgear, and if we need to Belkin.

and......GO!
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: lets talk routers.

I begrudgingly left my WRT54GL for a WRT310N. I've been throwing at it for about a month the same barrage my WRT54GL handled. No problems so far.

If you buy the WRT310N, pay attention to the first five characters of the serial number.

S/N: CSF01... = WRT310N v1.0
    S/N: CSF11... = WRT310N v2.0

You want 1.0, as its hardware is much better than 2.0.

The 1.0 version will take dd-wrt just fine, but it's a two-flash upgrade, so you have to be very careful as you're installing. My WRT54GL was running Tomato, and I had plans to flash my WRT310N, but I never got around to it... and the WRT310N stock firmware is doing well and meets my most important firmware needs out of the box (QoS, Static DHCP, etc).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have had the D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router for over a year and have never had a problem. Easy to install, update and manage. Great wireless range. I have the router in my basement on the left side of my house and the cpu in our bedroom (upsatirs/opposite of the house) gets great signal. You can get it at BB but the price is much better now at Newegg.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
        I have had the D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router for over a year and have never had a problem. Easy to install, update and manage. Great wireless range. I have the router in my basement on the left side of my house and the cpu in our bedroom (upsatirs/opposite of the house) gets great signal. You can get it at BB but the price is much better now at Newegg.
        i was just looking at that one. right after i posted this i read some reviews and did some research on that one. seems like a good machine and seems like it will do what i need.

anyone else have this router?
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
          If you buy the WRT310N, ... You want 1.0, as its hardware is much better than 2.0.
          I was out of bounds to say the hardware was much better. If you look at the Linksys WRT300N series Wikipedia page, the hardware looks similar across the two models (this has changed since I did my pre-buy research).

The new updates to the Wikipedia page also report that dd-wrt is currently being ported to the 2.0 version of the WRT310N.

So, maybe the version is becoming less relevant as time passes.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Try to find a good review on whatever routers you narrow down. Preferrably those with detailed real life tests (not the ones that goes: "oh the ad says it's 5x better so it's better").

One thing to be careful of: 2.4 GHz only N and 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz N. Some routers claim to be N compliant but only support the 2.4 GHz band. Look for the ones that actually support the 5 GHz band, not just the 2.4 one.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

that dlink supports dual channel. 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz. im thinking thats my huckleberry.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Try to find a good review on whatever routers you narrow down. Preferrably those with detailed real life tests (not the ones that goes: "oh the ad says it's 5x better so it's better").

One thing to be careful of: 2.4 GHz only N and 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz N. Some routers claim to be N compliant but only support the 2.4 GHz band. Look for the ones that actually support the 5 GHz band, not just the 2.4 one.
                Right. Those he is talking about are called dual-band, and they are much more expensive. And some let you only use one or the other. Others don't show any benefit over just the 2.4 ones.

The crazy thing is I am about to order a new wireless router tonight or tomorrow morning, and I am also having a horrible time deciding. Glad Trooper made this post. :icon19:

I usually check newegg for ones with good reviews, and then look for hard core reviews from tech sites to back up the ones that look good. But none of the ones on newegg stand out. They all have mediocre ratings.

Interesting thing though is this brand spanking new one:
                ASUS's RT-N13U router wants to make your life as EZ as possible

I think I may have posted about it before, but that engadget.com article has been updated with a really good review, and they liked it. Newegg has it for sale super cheap, but it only has one buyer review so far. He said only problem he had was with his Iphone, but ASUS actually posted back saying there shouldn't be any problem and please contact them so they can fix it. Now that is some great customer service! Go ASUS!.
                Check it out:
                ASUS RT-N13U IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft Wireless Router with All-in-One Printer Server - Retail

The other ASUS model on newegg actually has decent ratings, but less features.

I really like the idea of having the usb port on the router for either a printer or to keep a backup drive attached. In the future I could use that for my TV/HTPC to pull stuff from wirelessly. It also lets you run an FTP or download stuff without your computer running.

I googled around, but not too many other bigtime reviews out there.
                I really wish it had the option for an external antenna, though you might be able to hack it. And as of now no dd-wrt :(

More links:
                ASUS RT-N13U-All-in-one Router with Shared Printer Connectivity Launched

The official ASUS page is pretty good:
                http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_I...specifications

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

holy crap. thats a deal and a half. the dlink also has that usb port thats good for a print server. i like that idea. now i need to decide which.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

I took the plunge and ordered the ASUS. Crossing my fingers.
                    Also in my Newegg email this morning was this deal:

Link:
                    LINKSYS WRT320N IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n 2 Dual-Band Wireless Router - Retail

Hell of a lot cheaper than you will find it at like Bestbuy.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

let me know what you tihnk of that asus. seems like a great deal. but i dont think its dual channel. which im kind of liking now that i seen its there. and i love the idea of a USB hook up. i want a print serve and this usb deal will save some money.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Make sure you read around about the dual channel thing. I was really thinking about it too, but a lot of it isn't as awesome as I thought from the articles I read.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

In today's newegg email:

Link:
                          LINKSYS WRT610N IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router - Retail

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X