Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of Video Gaming (cue trumpets)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Video Gaming (cue trumpets)

I just saw a special on the Science Channel on the future of interactivity, and it included some pretty neat stuff.

Stuff Included:
    • A "hamster-wheel" which, when combined with a set of goggles, allowed walking to control motion in-game.
    • A vest which gave force-feedback from bullets and explosions (ow)

Where do you think the future of games is going?
    |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Re: The Future of Video Gaming (cue trumpets)

Too much exercise. While it would be fun for 2 minutes to actually run with an MMORPGcharacter, it would get stale. If it would make for very poor game design in shooters/rpgs/wtv, then imagine what that would do to platformers, puzzles, etc.

The game industry needs smarter choices in game design, not more immersive ones like what they've been concentrating on for a long time.
    Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
    Without betrayal you'll never win.

Comment

I haven't played with a vest but I've played with a chair that had speakers built into it and played some Half-Life that way. It was quite an experience "feeling" the crossbow bolts hit me. The same company made a vest for portability, but I suspect they're out of business. This was a few years back. I stopped using the chair as it was pretty uncomfortable, with a fairly hard surface and no ability to be adjusted. (Those of us with aging backs prefer to lean back on padding. ;))
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Using wind for immersion sounds neat, though it sounds like they would only allow frontal hits.
        No much of a problem for HL2, game designers gave the AI an accuracy penalty when you weren't looking at them.
        Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
        Without betrayal you'll never win.

Comment

Something we were just discussing in one of my game design classes today was that the main menu would become more fluidic and integral to the game as a whole. The professor and quite a few of us (myself included) agreed it would be nice and it might be where that part of the UI is headed.

Some games have already done it of course, but so far, the main menu has been a separate layer that doesn't really contribute to the game itself.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How would the main menu become more integrated? Is that what I've always heard called the "lobby" or the "server browser". That part of every FPS I've played has generally sucked, and spawned a number of 3rd party free replacements, like GameSpy and AllSeeingEye. In single player games the lobby usually manages one's saved games and video and audio settings. Why would you need lots of integration with the main game?

What I'd rather see is an open lobby standard that allows the game designers to focus on what they do best (the immersive game) and lets other people take over the non-realtime stuff, doing it better than the game designers. The lobby doesn't need to have the look and feel of the rest of the game, although I can see independent lobby designers providing hooks for that, much in the way MS provides hooks in the common file open dialog for application writers to "skin" it with their application's look and additional options.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://tngames.com/products

Seems like the FPS vest or gaming vest is still available. The game has to support it though.

I'd like to see something more interactive, not to make it more immersive, to make it easier to see what's going on around your character. Sometimes you'll be hiding in a game and not realize your foot is sticking out or some little step has to be jumped over. Little things like this make it hard to control a character. It would be easier if controls mapped closer to what a human would actually do in real life. But yeah, it would suck to have to run across the country to do a quest...

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X