Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista SP1 Not Installing. Stumped as to Reason...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista SP1 Not Installing. Stumped as to Reason...

Okay, so a few months after building my new rig, I decided to throw Vista Business (x86) on my old rig which I handed down to my sister. I've tried over 9 times and so far cannot get SP1 to install.

I keep getting this message after the install fails:
    Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes
    Installation was not successful
    An internal error occurred while installing the service pack
    And now the sound isn't working even after reinstalling the Vista drivers for the Audigy LS sound card. Even after reinstalling the drivers, Device Manager still shows a exclamation icon next to "Sound Blaster Audigy LS". I did not have this problem when I had installed Vista on the machine and the Vista drivers the first time around.

I have SP1 on the HDD and have already tried installing it in Safe Mode with the same results. I used my copy of Vista Business (x86) from MSDNAA with the 32-bit key (just in case "is it genuine" comes up). A lengthy search online hasn't turned up any new solutions.

The system's specs:

ASUS P5PE-VM Mobo (Intel 865G chipset)
    Intel Pentium D 805 (2.66 GHz, LGA775)
    1 GB DDR400 RAM (2 x 512 MB DIMMs)
    120 GB Samsung Spinpoint P Series HDD
    256 MB eVGA 7600GS (AGP 8x)
    Sound Blaster Audigy LS
    Lite-On DVD + DVD Burner
    Raidmax Midtower Case
    Thermaltake 480W PSU

How can I get SP1 installed? Any of you have any other ideas that I could try?

Is the 865G chipset responsible?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Vista SP1 Not Installing. Stumped as to Reason...

Oh geez. I had this problem with sp1 and ultimate but I don't remember the solution.

I want to say it had to do with the mobo (have the p5k-e) but can't be certain. I say this because my sound was screwed up and I use the onboard sound. I think I had to do a system restore then update all my drivers and the mobo stuff THEN install the service pack.

I also had a problem on a machine at work. But to fix that I wiped then installed clean then applied the service pack.
    I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Do you have any weird expansion cards installed? I have to take out my USB card every time I install Vista/Windows 7 because it hangs the installer. I can pop it back in immediately after the installation is complete but it doesn't work when it is in the PCI slot.

Vista is probably not going to be a whole lot of fun on that machine but I suppose if you turn off all of the eye candy, it might be alright. Any reason why she can't just run Ubuntu?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets
        Vista is probably not going to be a whole lot of fun on that machine but I suppose if you turn off all of the eye candy, it might be alright. Any reason why she can't just run Ubuntu?
        Oh I threw Linux on one of her old machines before and she's used my Ubuntu netbook before as well. She swears she hates it and I can guess it's because she's become attached to the Windows desktop.

Actually I have the Aero interface going and the rig can handle it. The only real problem is that Firefox and Google Talk will eat 100% CPU after a while.

I don't have anything other than a wireless card and the sound card in the system. Nothing else out of ordinary.

@Gringo,

If you remember, please post. Would love to try something to get SP1 installed.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have you ever changed any parts without a reformat? A windows registry from some hardware that you removed could cause this problem. I remember the problems I had with a pre-built Compaq I tried to put XP SP3 on but the registry problem was because of Compaq and not hardware. I imagine a hardware replacement could cause the same thing.

Specifically it was because Compaq had a registry entered which said the computer ran off of an Intel CPU when it was an AMD processor. I'm still miffed about how they screwed that one up.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Nope, I didn't add or remove or change any parts while Vista was installed.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I have SP1 on the HDD
              You get this error with the stand-alone SP1 ?

Have you tried the System Update Readiness Tool ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                You get this error with the stand-alone SP1 ?

Have you tried the System Update Readiness Tool ?

DB
                I can't get SP1 standalone or through Windows Update to install. I'm trying that tool now though I have my doubts since the taskbar reads "Windows Update Standalone Installer".

I give up on that tool. It's been over 20 minutes and the thing is still searching for updates. I'll try the install in Safe Mode again to see if it'll work.

No luck. Getting...
                An internal error occured while installing the service pack.

Error code: 0x80070002
                Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 09-13-2009, 10:36 PM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Feel like giving this a try ?

(hit show all once you're there)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X