Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideazon.com has new solution for game control!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideazon.com has new solution for game control!

http://webstore.ideazon.com/

Best thing since sliced bread and printed circuit boards IMHO.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Re: Ideazon.com has new solution for game control!

Originally posted by L0GiCaL1
    http://webstore.ideazon.com/

Best thing since sliced bread and printed circuit boards IMHO.
    At first glance it looks kinda cool, but then you notice the price. Then you notice that some custom game boards eliminate the ability to communicate in-game via text. Then you notice that with that many moving parts and removable pieces, combined with the low quality of worksmanship, that this keyboard isn't going to last very long...

It's an interesting idea. But too expensive and too limited for my taste...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There isn't a Ghost Recon Z-Board!! :P

It looks neat but I agree with Cing that it's too expensive. Where's Total in all of this? I bet he'd say, "Bah, get the Speedpad instead." :D

- It's who you game with.

Comment

How does it limit your ingame communication via Text?... it has a reduced size 104 key keyboard built in on every Z-Board I saw. All the specialty keys are programmable... and the CrossFire keyset takes care of not having a special Z-Board for EVERY game on the market. I think $50.00 isn't bad for a starter kit and the CrossFire Z-Board. You would pay as much for a N52 SpeedPad which doesn't offer you the ability to chat via text AT ALL. Not to mention the N52 is limited to 4 simultaneous keypresses whereas the Z-Board is capable of 8.

Low quality workmanship?... have you actually put your hands on it?

I know for a fact I've broken just as many keyboards and special controllers made out of ABS plastic like the N50 (actually I have broken 2 of these and I'm on my 3rd which isn't holding up well). The Z-Boards are made of Lexan, rubber and small amounts of ABS... when was the last time you destroyed Lexan or rubber by laying a finger on it?... these keypads are even better than a normal keyboard for the fact that dirt and dust wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Easy to clean, infinitely configurable, and cost effective (not to mention the fact that you don't have to remember ALL those macros for application software like DreamWeaver, 3dS MAX 5&6, MS Office, etc etc)...

I can't figure out where you guys are coming from. Still a matter of opinion though.
        Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Once you start buying Z-boards for different apps, it starts adding up. I would probably like one for 3DS Max and Photoshop.

3DSM - $39.99
          Photoshop - $29.99
          Crossfire - $19.99
          Base board - $19.99

Total = ~$110 + tax

That's racking it up. It's another $10 if you want the Windows/Explorer board so you can have a normal keyboard when not playing games or using special apps. Still a good idea but I wouldn't buy it unless I won the lottery. I'd rather rough it out with the shortcuts and buy a couple games.

The base board with the Crossfire add-in isn't a bad deal. It's comparable to getting the SpeedPad but I wouldn't get the SpeedPad either. I really would have to try it out to get a better opinion.

Comment

How does it limit your ingame communication via Text?... it has a reduced size 104 key keyboard built in on every Z-Board I saw.
            I said "some". Click here for an example.
            Yep, I played around with one at CompUSA the other day... I wasn't impressed....

I think this is largely going to be a matter of personal preference... Personally, I remap my keybindings on ALL my games so that I don't have to use the defaults. I have no problems with a regular ol' mouse and keyboard. I got my Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse for $80 two years ago and they're going strong. Based on the one Zboard that I personally saw, I don't know that it would last that long...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Cost is prohibitive.

Unfortunately, I think it's nothing more than a fun gimmick, as the flightsim community has had at least 4 similar devices within the last 10 years.

They all failed.

Comment

Whats wrong with the keyboard I have now?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  How does it limit your ingame communication via Text?... it has a reduced size 104 key keyboard built in on every Z-Board I saw.
                  Your example does nothing to support your arguement... I see every key you would find on a normal 101-key keyboard (which is really all that is required to communicate via text in a game) plus about a zillion other keys and well defined markings.

Yep, I played around with one at CompUSA the other day... I wasn't impressed....
                  Impressed or not... isn't that the question. Some people might be.

I think this is largely going to be a matter of personal preference... Personally, I remap my keybindings on ALL my games so that I don't have to use the defaults. I have no problems with a regular ol' mouse and keyboard. I got my Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse for $80 two years ago and they're going strong. Based on the one Zboard that I personally saw, I don't know that it would last that long...
                  Well I remap keys also and have tried controllers that do not foot the bill in terms of mapability. This gives you the best of both worlds in that you retain your precious keyboard and mouse but are allowed to program a seperate subset of keys to do your bidding. As for quality, Logitech has wonderful products... but they are limited in their scope and adaptability to specific situations. I, personally, did not find any fault in the one that I tested at CompUSA.

To address the cost issue, sure you can purchase all those keysets but you also have the ability to stretch the purchases out over a period of time. Since Xmas is coming up, you can tell your family, friends or whomever you normally exchange gifts with that this certain keyset is on your wishlist. Individually they are not prohibitively expensive. Of course when you group together 4 keysets and the base you will have a number that doesn't sound right. Think about how many specific controllers (and shortcuts you have to remember that change every time the program is updated) you would have to have for each of these things. The cost would be prohibitive too. I, personally, plan on purchasing quite a few of the keysets because I use my keyboard for more than typing email and playing games too... DreamWeaver MX, Flash MX, 3d Studio Max, and PhotoShop are all on my wishlist. As they say, time is money and if this increases my productivity then I will have offset the cost. I will not and can not purchase them all at once. I'm a poor man too. But I do not think it is cost prohibitive.

Spectre, I just have one question for you...

Why do you think those products failed?

My answer is because people said the same thing you did and did not take the time to look at the functionality. Just because it has a picture on it doesn't mean it is a gimmick. If I were to tell you that your computer (which I know you take a lot of pride in) is nothing but a gimmick. All of the modifications (window, lights, etc etc). What functionality do they add... yet you buy them but call a thing that offers an increase in personal capability a gimmick. Hypocritical?

Ender, there is nothing wrong with your keyboard... there is nothing wrong with my keyboard either for that matter... just an alternative means of control that combines two functional pieces of equipment that I use on a daily basis, together.

Comment

After looking at the gaming boards, I might have a problem with typing messages with them. The keys are spaced out and that might be funny to type messages. The keys for gaming are nicely organized though. They look to be in all the right places.

Looking again at the 3DSM and Photoshop add-ons, I don't think would get them. I do quite fine with 3DSM after using it more and more that I can't justify spending $39.99, more than the Z-board itself, for shortcuts I'm already accustomed to using. With the Photoshop board, I'd rather save up and get a graphics tablet that will allow pressure sensitive drawing.

Perhaps this thing does too many things when you could probably get by without it or get devices that are much more specific for the app you're using. I guess the best would be to try it out and see if it's your thing.

Comment

Your example does nothing to support your arguement... I see every key you would find on a normal 101-key keyboard (which is really all that is required to communicate via text in a game) plus about a zillion other keys and well defined markings.
                      Huh... You're right... I think I need glasses...

I just don't see how this is any more functional than my current keyboard for me. For beginners, I can see how this would help. No need to learn which keys do what, 'cause you can just look down at the Zboard and see what it's labeled. But all my FPS's are keymapped the same way, so I don't have to relearn much of anything... Perhaps this product will bring more of the not-quite-bright console players over to the PC side, though... I don't see that as a good thing...

And as for stretching the payments out to make it less cost prohibitive: You used to be a salesman, didn't you?
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Those boards are not for me.

Now before I get jumped for "not trying something new" or anything like that from the pro-board group ;)

I would find it extremely annoying to have to change out boards depending on what game I was going to play or what application I was going to run. Thing is, I got so many games right now that I play, it would be very inefficient for me to have to change to a different board every day just to play the game. And to us engineers, inefficiency is a very bad thing :P

Nice gimmick but I can think of much better electronic toys to spend my money on :P

Comment

Good point about having to switch boards, Wolfie. Switching the boards is fast from the videos I've seen but the problem is searching through your collection for the correct board. I would definitely be switching several times during a day because of browsing these boards and playing on the servers. If I'm sticking with the gaming board in then I'd have to use the oddly spaced keys. I'm not sure if I would be fond of keys like that. They seem to have rounded tops instead of the normal bowl-like keys that allow for easier typing.

Comment

And as for stretching the payments out to make it less cost prohibitive: You used to be a salesman, didn't you?
                            Yes, I did. There is good reason for that approach also. It allows you to do things like own a car without having to pay beau coop $$ up front. Think of it like your own household no interest lay-away plan. Does it make the item cost less? No. Does it make it easily affordable by allowing you to purchase additional componets at a later time? Yes. The retail world revolves around that concept. Would you rather be force-fed 30 boards you don't like and don't need or would you rather purchase 1 or 2 that you do like and would use. (I'll leave this alone now since economy discussions belong in the Sandbox... maybe we need a global economics discussion there?)

It is a good point about switching boards... but the 2 main boards that would be in use would be the Windows and Internet Explorer and the CrossFire. Maybe a specialty board or two for some other stuff when the need arises.

And Wolfie, I'm not jumping on anyone at all and if it was taken as such then I appologize if I said something wrong. I am just allowing both sides to be very well understood. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion... that is what makes conversation happen. Maybe someone can actually make an honest purchase decision about the product based on the good and bad shown here. The real test is putting your hands on it... if it doesn't fit, then don't buy it. I am just excited about the product and thought I would share.

Comment

lol

console players are stupid

lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed