A Look at the BeOS.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look at the BeOS.

I'm rather impressed with the BeOS's capabilities seeing how much was accomplished 15 years ago before Windows 95 was even released into the market. I've included two links below: the first is the original Engadget story on the Haiku Project (based on BeOS) and the presentation demo of BeOS from around 1994 (via Google Video).

Original Engadget Article
    BeOS Demo Video (circa 1994)

9 simultaneous apps at the same time and 9 virtual desktops all on a PC with two Pentium IIs, 64 MB of RAM, a 6 GB HDD, and dual capture cards. Pretty amazing for the time and a pretty good look into the future.

Of course, this was all before I even used a computer (not including the recent alpha release of Haiku OS). Anyone remember this OS from back when?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: A Look at the BeOS.

Yes I remember it. I went to class with a guy that was very active in the community and with the developers until they called it quits. I actually did a project for a class on the OS with him. At the time it reminded me of the best of Windows, best of Mac with a sprinkle of linux.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Re: A Look at the BeOS.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      9 simultaneous apps at the same time and 9 virtual desktops all on a PC with two Pentium IIs, 64 MB of RAM, a 6 GB HDD, and dual capture cards. Pretty amazing for the time and a pretty good look into the future.
      Yes, that was an exciting OS. What it accomplish compared to everything else widely available at the time was amazing.

One of the demos showed a handful of videos running in windows. At the time getting one video of that quality was difficult.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X