No announcement yet.

What is the best Antivirus up to date?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best Antivirus up to date?

I haven't posted in a while (sorry), but I just wanted to know which antivirus you guys think would be the best for windows, and why. My free trial of nod32 is about to run out soon (I love nod32) so I wonder if there are any other antivirus programs I can try out before deciding which one I want to purchase and install. I was thinking of Avast!, but it didn't protect me very well against trojans.

I am looking for an antivirus that's obviously really powerful in detection(both real time AND on-demand), good scanning speed(not too slow like Avast!), and one that doesn't really impact my gaming experience in a detrimental way (such as the FPS being lowered due to scanning). I would list other stuff but right now i'm too tired and I can't think very well at the moment.

Please help me out, i'm so indecisive! D=

Re: What is the best Antivirus up to date?

Try Avira.
    www.free-av.com
    Only negative here is it's ad supported, but you only get a pop up asking to purchase the full version when you update. A bit of googling can lead to how to disable that. ;)
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I use Avira too. It has good reports so I tried it a few months ago. Not stopped since.

The popup add is annoying but I guess it ensures the free version is free so I am willing to put up with it some more.

However over the months I noticed something that even my saintly patience's goat got up. The worst part of the popup was when watching a film or something on a player like the BBC, in the evening, as it would overtake everything and you would be somewhat interrupted to say the least.

At the moment I have configured scan and update times to early morning (9am) and set 'updates' to invisible. And hope it will work out better. As a nag add it is one indeed. But tips can remove the nag. And as said, for me, I'm trying to live with it since it is free and very good, hence the reschedule to morning and not mid-day or evening (as it seemed to want to do without me knowing why at the beginning although I thought I had put all things to mid-day).

Therefore, once you get it, got to scheduler straight away, I would recommend setting it to a decent (morning) time to get it out the way and wont sink into your saintly psyche or others' so much. The option for popups for updates and so as Invisible is there too.

It's a damned fine virus scanner considering it's free and seems to pick up more than supposed payable ones I can think of. A great aspect is that it doesn't use much processing either when in background and apart from the popup dilemma it is non-aggressive as in wanting to take over everything, unlike payable ones I have seen. It does have a realtime guard though and it does work. More points are it is simple to use and even explains what it has seen and picked up as it has a dictionary of viruses you can read. It is precise and gets into 'hidden files' better than others I have seen. Someone may be better placed to say otherwise, I think the only real difference in the payable version are aspects such as it gets rid of things automatically instead of you manually scanning and removing, and it looks at downloads and so forth. However saying that, when using the guard surfing, it will detect intrusion and allow you to deny it there and then. So with the guard and scanner, it seems job done, apart from downloading, which of course I would have to get the full version. But hey, it's free and for me it's brilliant.

It gets my thumbs up and I would likely get the full version in time than many supposedly good ones you can get and have a more common name, due to all the plusses said.
      Last edited by Taip3n; 09-17-2009, 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

avg is the way to go. its free and it works better then alot of the ones you have to pay for. Please do not get Norton or Mcafee. They arent worth the box they are shipped in.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I also recommend the Avira AntiVir, I've used it for years with no game related issues except for Starcraft (the CD protection, resolved with a virtual CD drive). I actually like the ad pop up since it lets me know it ran successfully, although I may check out how to turn it off. Definitely worth the free protection for a very mild annoyance, and since you can schedule the scan to happen at 4 am the popup won't be interrupting anything for me :)
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Another vote for AVG. In recent tests (there was a post in this forum about it not too long ago) AVG was consistently the best for spotting different types of viruses (virii??) and not reporting false positives.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

In no particular order: Avira, AVG, Avast!, ESET NOD32, and Kaspersky are the ones I know of to be great and wouldn't pick anything besides those. I have heard of Panda AV to be good as well from a couple people but have never tried it out or checked any of the large scale AV tests for it.

I personally use Avast! home and not once has a virus gotten through (I have to thank ad block plus and no script as well). Any viruses that are detected in a download cause the download to be paused immediately and the same goes for when you load a website.

I have never encountered any problems with the download pausing either as it has always resumed fine even after several hours.

I've never had any problems with Avast!'s scanning speed either, it's always a great speed and can be run in the background without hindering even the heaviest gaming app.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tags/antivirus.html
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

X2 for Kitty's post. Those would also be the AVs I would recommend using. The only one I'd caution about is AVG as the guilty-free advertising every time you open the CP is annoying but also sometimes updates just fail and require some work on your end to fix it.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use avg and don't have hardly any issues except a couple cookies that aren't really a threat.

- -

Comment

I'll just post this.
                      Couple ways you can disable the popup. I use the secpol method, works fine, no problems to date.
                      It's Gaming
                      Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

If you can afford it get "Vipre". It's silent, effective and you want know it's running a scan even when your in-game :)
                        A Battlefield infantrist since beginning of time, now gone MIA. Ahhh..bf1942 the adrenaline rush not encountered again in any game...since. I miss thoose great times.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to stick with Avira, and so far it's doing okay. The interface isn't too great, and it doesn't seem very user friendly seeing that i'm a novice, but nonetheless, it's pretty good. I'm also already used to the pop ups =p

Thanks for the help!

~ DarkPhoenix

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...