Xfire questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfire questions

First off, does anyone know if there is, or will be, a linux xfire client?

I have xfire installed on my windows box, but I can't get it to work within counterstrike. The key combo is scroll lock and X, and there's nothing else on my pc that could possible use that combo. I've tried changing the combo, but it won't let me. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've even done 5 or 6 different installs of windoze, but to no avail. I installed xfire onto my laptop from the same copy of the install file, and it lets me change the in game key combo to anything I want.

Lastly, my xfire keeps disconnecting itself after random amounts of time, both on my desktop, and on my laptop.

If anyone has answers for any of the above I'd be grateful.

TIA
    Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Xfire questions

If anyone else is looking for a linux xfire client, it ain't gonna happen until they get the windows version perfected. Thats the latest news from EZkill, although I didn't ask him where he got that from ;-)

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It seems to work fine for me within CSS, so atleast you know it is possible.

Lastly, my xfire keeps disconnecting itself after random amounts of time, both on my desktop, and on my laptop.
      This happens to many people I know, myself included. It is random, and I have not seen any reason for it.

The key combo is scroll lock and X, and there's nothing else on my pc that could possible use that combo
      It is possible to change the bind to something else. Open the X-Fire client, and go to >Tools>Options>Chat, See if changing the bind helps you to resolve your issue.
      Last edited by Usarion; 05-02-2005, 07:57 PM.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Usarion
        It is possible to change the bind to something else. Open the X-Fire client, and go to >Tools>Options>Chat, See if changing the bind helps you to resolve your issue.
        Heh - that was one of my points - it won't LET me :( When I hit the button to change the key combo, it simply doesn't respond, and succesive installations of windoze and xfire have caused the same problem. When I had win98 on my laptop, it let me change the key combo.

Root
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Hmmm my bad, I did not realize that was what you were saying. I have talked with a few folks over here, and none of them have the problem. I will keep my eyes open for a solution...good luck

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Usarion
            Hmmm my bad, I did not realize that was what you were saying. I have talked with a few folks over here, and none of them have the problem. I will keep my eyes open for a solution...good luck
            Np Usarion - thanks for trying!

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

No, no linux client. I gather that it runs with Cedega, only BUUUUUGGGY.

I did find this interesting gem though:

http://www.transgaming.com/showthrea...3&thread=48880

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                No, no linux client. I gather that it runs with Cedega, only BUUUUUGGGY.
                2 questions - is cegega free, and is there a download thats the windoze equivelant of an install .exe file. I believe their called binaries as opposed to compiled files?

Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
                  2 questions - is cegega free, and is there a download thats the windoze equivelant of an install .exe file. I believe their called binaries as opposed to compiled files?

Root
                  No, its not free. Well, actually, WineX is hosted on sourceforge, so you could build it from CVS if you really-really-really wanted to. Trust me, you don't.

You can find it surreptitiously, of course, but it only costs a $5 per month for a subscription (3 month minimum).

They have binaries for most major versions of linux

-.rpm for mandrake, suse, and fedora,
                  -.deb for debian, ubuntu, xandros, linspire, etc.
                  -.tgz for slackware and other source based systems.

The install is easy-just use whatever package manner of linux you use, and the system handles it.

The hard part is getting games to actually run. WoW runs....so does Half Life, HL2, Steam, most HL mods, and a few others. Alot of games don't run at all. Some run with issues. *shrugs*

What linux are you running?

Comment

No, its not free. Well, actually, WineX is hosted on sourceforge, so you could build it from CVS if you really-really-really wanted to. Trust me, you don't.
                    I'll take your word for it.

You can find it surreptitiously, of course,
                    No thanks. You never know what free stuff is included with pirate software ;)

I'll buy a copy of cedega when I can afford it. Thanks for the info. I'm keen to get a desktop pc running with xandros after the success of installing it on my laptop. Do you know if the minimum specs are any different for games if it's running under cedega?

Cheers
                    Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
                      I'll buy a copy of cedega when I can afford it. Thanks for the info. I'm keen to get a desktop pc running with xandros after the success of installing it on my laptop. Do you know if the minimum specs are any different for games if it's running under cedega?
                      No, there isn't any difference. I'd make sure you have plenty of ram, but other than that, a fast-ish processer and a good GPU should do it.

Comment

No, there isn't any difference. I'd make sure you have plenty of ram, but other than that, a fast-ish processer and a good GPU should do it.
                        You're a star Mateo - thanks!

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse