Sound Card Woes on a friend's PC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card Woes on a friend's PC.

So a buddy of mine from work has an old Dell XPS 410. He went out and bought a SB X-Fi XtremeGamer card to pop into his machine, and since i'm his local computer guru, he called me over to install it. No problem there.

Then I hit a snag. Apparently the presence of a sound card doesnt override the front panel headphone/mic jacks from using the onboard sound. Normally, this wouldnt be much of a problem, but his setup is as such:
    5.1 surround sound system in the 3 rear audio out jacks. mic/headphones up front.

So basically what I want to do is find a way to connect the front jacks to the sound card, which should be possible, as the sound card has a set of pin connectors labeled "front jacks". However, I cant seem to find any schematics on the front jacks for the XPS 410 to figure out how the hell to make the connection between the two.

Any help any of you guys could provide would be great. I'd rather not end up looking like a moron in front of someone who came to me expecting me to be some kind of computer god.

Re: Sound Card Woes on a friend's PC.

the front jacks should plug into the motherboard somewhere, so I would trace the line from the front and then remove the wire from the motherboard and then connect to sound card, the pins should be similar. After googling some pictures I would say it looks like the twisted black and red cable but just see what is coming from the front jacks.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Also, you should disable the onboard sound in the BIOS if you haven't already.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I disabled the onboard sound in the bios. I also pulled the front panel. There is no audio wire going to the mobo. One single wire for the whole card, looking much like an IDE cable, which I assume also controls the USB ports on the front panel. No additional ports or anything. Kinda odd. I'll continue researching.

Comment

Check here

And here

I'll dig some more but from the bit I read, the front panel jacks are tied to one integrated front panel I/O connector cable (that IDE like cable). So unless you're willing to do a bit of surgery...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I recently built my own pc and bought a PCI Express X-FI titanium, to get the front IO panel audio on the case to work I had to connect the front panel "HD audio" to the back of the card, at first I had it plugged into the motherboard, but that only worked if I was to use the on-board sound, the plug is a 10 socket plug with 1 socket filled in, that plugs into the back of the sound card, I am not sure if it is the same with the xtremgamer card, or with a ready made pc, but there is no harm in checking it out.

Comment

From the diagrams Dick posted, it looks like re-wiring of the wires for the FP connector is needed. The plug Dell uses isn't even the standard 9-pin hole block. Again, you'd have to trace the wiring to the front panel audio jacks. Preferrably, take apart the front bezel of the case so you can see clearly the FP PCB and the wires leading to it.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hope this helps a bit. I've had it bookmarked for ages.[media]http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/3968/xfifpmodbq5.jpg[/media]

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X