xandros media player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xandros media player

Anyone know how to add DVD functionality to this? If there is, can someone explain it in plain engligh?

Cheers
    Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: xandros media player

Originally posted by cookietester
    Anyone know how to add DVD functionality to this? If there is, can someone explain it in plain engligh?

Cheers
    Root
    What you need is to get MPlayer, or Xine from a debian repository, or if you have a legit copy of Xandros, grab it from Xandros Networks. The stock media player in Xandros is crap.

While you are at it, download Amarok, and install that for all your Mp3 needs.

I can walk you through the installation if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
      or if you have a legit copy of Xandros,
      As opposed to an illegitamate copy of linux? Does such a thing even exist?

I got the free download from the xandros website, and I have xine downloaded and unzipped. When I tried to follow the install instructions on the xine website, they were really badly written. I unzipped to /usr/local/xine-lib-1.0.1 and the front end unzipped to /usr/local/xine-ui-0.99.3. What do I need to do from here?

Your help is much appreciated Mateo!

Root
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

As opposed to an illegitamate copy of linux? Does such a thing even exist?

I got the free download from the xandros website, and I have xine downloaded and unzipped. When I tried to follow the install instructions on the xine website, they were really badly written. I unzipped to /usr/local/xine-lib-1.0.1 and the front end unzipped to /usr/local/xine-ui-0.99.3. What do I need to do from here?

Your help is much appreciated Mateo!

Root
        Yeah, I have a copy of Xandros that is a copy of a buddies...same with Linspire. It's a gray area, since you can download both for free, but cannot use the services or networks. I guess I was asking if you paid for it and had access to the network.

As for xine, I would stop right where you are, delete the files, and follow this thread:

http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=708

Add the debian sarge repository to Xandros Network, and use that to install xine. You are missing at least one library that I know of (liddvdcss), but could be missing others.

Come to think of it, XN is just synaptic, rebranded. Couldn't you just install from there?

Comment

I just had a lok at that link, and my brain started trying to get away. Much techo jargon, which unfortunately, goes with the linux territory. I'll have another look at it when I'm in the right frame of mind. Thanks Mateo!

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It turns out that xine is actually installed as part of the xandros install. However, when I fire it up and hit the dvd button, I get 2 errors. The first one reads

xine engine error. there is no input plugin available to handle dvd:/ Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist

the second one simply says

/dev/dvd

VCD, CD etc are all fine, only the DVD button gives me an error. Any ideas?
            Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It turns out that xine is actually installed as part of the xandros install. However, when I fire it up and hit the dvd button, I get 2 errors. The first one reads

xine engine error. there is no input plugin available to handle dvd:/ Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist

the second one simply says

/dev/dvd

VCD, CD etc are all fine, only the DVD button gives me an error. Any ideas?
              Root
              Maybe the one is related to the other.

Manually mount the DVD, then see if xine catches it. If not, maybe they left the decss file out.

Comment

Maybe the one is related to the other.

Manually mount the DVD,
                How? Am I right in thinking I go into bash or whatever to do this? Whats the command line?

Cheers
                Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

How? Am I right in thinking I go into bash or whatever to do this? Whats the command line?

Cheers
                  Root
                  Yep. The command line should be mount /dev/dvd, since Xandros is debian. You may need to add a zero at the end (the command would then be mount /dev/dvd0, depending on how the Xandros crew set up the kernel.

Comment

Ok, went into console, tried mount /dev/dvd and mount /dev/dvd0 and got the same error with both

mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

and

mount: can't find /dev/dvd0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

respectively.

Typed mount so see what was mounted and got this

dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
                    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
                    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
                    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
                    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
                    automount(pid3845) on /var/autofs/floppy.1 type autofs (rw,fd=6,pgrp=3845,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
                    automount(pid3852) on /var/autofs/cdrom.1 type autofs (rw,fd=6,pgrp=3852,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
                    /dev/hda5 on /disks/C type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0,uid=1001,gid=1001)

Don't know if anything there helps solve the problem? I did man mount and I'm currently wading through the techno babble. The syntax appears to be mount dev type dir so I tried mount /dev/dvd0 DVD and got an error saying only root could do this. I switched to root and tried it again and it laughed at me with this error

mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I'll keep trying for a while, but if you can think of an answer I'd sure be grateful!

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

These lines were amongs thoese that came up when I did ls in /dev

cdrom ippp19 ippp60 isdn44 isdnctrl27 kmsg ptyb5 ptye3 ptyr1 ptytf ptywd ptyzb tty20 tty62
                      cdrom0 ippp2 ippp61 isdn45 isdnctrl28 log ptyb6 ptye4 ptyr2 ptyu0 ptywe ptyzc tty21 tty63
                      cdroms ippp20 ippp62 isdn46 isdnctrl29 loop ptyb7 ptye5 ptyr3 ptyu1 ptywf ptyzd tty22 tty7

dvd ippp25 isdn0 isdn50 isdnctrl33 loop4 ptybc ptyea ptyr8 ptyu6 ptyx4 ram10 tty27 ttyS2

Tried mounting again from within /dev

laptop:/dev# mount /dev/dvd0 dvd
                      mount: special device /dev/dvd0 does not exist
                      laptop:/dev# mount /dev/dvd dvd
                      mount: No medium found

When I tried mount /dev/dvd and mount /dev/dvd0 I still get the same errors as before.

I had a look in /etc/fstab.h and its pretty scary in there.

Root
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I had a look in /etc/fstab.h and its pretty scary in there.

Root
                        Roger that. I'm stumped. Quick question:it's a laptop, right? Same drive is DVD/CD Rom? I'm thinking that the automount might be a problem.

How about trying to force the unmount on the cdrom, and the dvd, then remounting manually?

umount -f /dev/cdrom
                        umount -f /dev/dvd

then try:

mount /dev/dvd

Comment

Roger that. I'm stumped. Quick question:it's a laptop, right? Same drive is DVD/CD Rom? I'm thinking that the automount might be a problem.
                          Yep its a compaq presario 700series with a combo dvd/cdrw drive

How about trying to force the unmount on the cdrom, and the dvd, then remounting manually?

umount -f /dev/cdrom
                          umount -f /dev/dvd

then try:

mount /dev/dvd
                          laptop:/# umount -f /dev/cdrom
                          umount2: Invalid argument
                          umount: /dev/cdrom: Illegal seek
                          laptop:/# umount -f /dev/dvd
                          umount: /dev/dvd: Illegal seek

laptop:/# mount /dev/dvd
                          mount: mount point /media/dvd does not exist

It's times like this when you can understand how gates got the market cornered

Root
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Yep its a compaq presario 700series with a combo dvd/cdrw drive

laptop:/# umount -f /dev/cdrom
                            umount: /dev/cdrom: Illegal seek
                            laptop:/# umount -f /dev/dvd
                            umount: /dev/dvd: Illegal seek

laptop:/# mount /dev/dvd
                            mount: mount point /media/dvd does not exist

It's times like this when you can understand how gates got the market cornered

Root
                            Try it without the -f flag. -f usually allows you to force the dismount when the system doesn't want to let go.

Just think, all this stuff happens in the background on windows as well, you jsut don't see it.

Not that that is a bad thing.

I'm stumped. Something weird about Xandros, by which I mean, there is some specific change to stock debian that they made to "make things easier" which is making your life harder.

How sold are you on Xandros?

Comment

How sold are you on Xandros?
                              If there's another distro that will install as easy as xandros (the setup was like a cutdown version of win98 setup), let me configure my network (linux laptop, windows desktop, router), comes with firefox, *and* plays dvd out of the box, just point me to the download :)

Root
                              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...