Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constant and regular background beeping in Windows.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant and regular background beeping in Windows.

Okay, I've been getting a constant and regular beeping (Windows chime bell) while using my new rig on both Vista and now Windows 7. The weird thing is that I hear it for a while and then I don't hear it for a while. And then suddenly it starts annoying me again.

I've looked over everything darn thing inside and out, software and hardware. I'm now thinking it maybe due to a low CMOS battery (or a faulty one). The thing that bothers me is that the mobo and rig is only 1 year and 1 month old (built in July 2008). I've only replaced a CMOS battery twice and those mobos were well over 5 years old.

Does anyone know of a low/faulty CMOS battery would cause a Windows chime bell to play softly in the background at regular intervals?

And, would it be a fault CMOS battery since the board is so new?

(There I heard the chime again.)

Edit: Ah wait a second. Something else just crossed my mind: contacts signing into Windows Live Messenger might also be alerted with a chime bell sound. Just have to wait for one to sign on or off again.

Problem *possibly* solved. I think the default alert sound in Messenger for when contacts sign on was set to the Windows chime and the "regular and constant beeps" I was hearing was Messenger annoying me that contacts on my buddies list were signing on. I have since changed the chime to something less related to Windows problems (and annoying) to something more distinct.

I'll post back tomorrow if I'm still hearing chimes. I would still love to know if a low or fault CMOS battery would cause Windows to play a chime? (I do know that on startup I might lose system time/date settings for a low battery or a system might reboot. Otherwise, I don't know if Windows has a separate chime if the battery only shows problematic symptoms every so often and not during startup.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Constant and regular background beeping in Windows.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
    Does anyone know of a low/faulty CMOS battery would cause a Windows chime bell to play softly in the background at regular intervals?
    There is no interface between the mainboard (and CMOS battery) and any OS (WXP, W7, Linux).

Mainboards do not "beep" for low CMOS battery.

Some mainboards may shows up a message like: "CMOS Battery Low" or something similar and that's all.

The sound that you hear on the OS is not from CMOS battery.

Do a test to prove this.

Boot you PC with F8 and leave it on the selection menu.

Do you hear the sound now?
    sigpic
    "All wars are fought for money" (Socrates, 470-399 BC)
    "Only the dead have seen the end of the war" (Plato, 427-347 BC)
    "We make war that we may live in peace" (Aristotle, 384-322 BC)

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Problem *possibly* solved. I think the default alert sound in Messenger for when contacts sign on was set to the Windows chime and the "regular and constant beeps" I was hearing was Messenger annoying me that contacts on my buddies list were signing on. I have since changed the chime to something less related to Windows problems (and annoying) to something more distinct.
      I've run into that exact same problem. Do a new install, get programs up and running, WTF is that noise coming from? Oh.....

Blasted Messenger Programs.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thanks Rasta. Just wondering.

I'm pretty sure now that Messenger was the cause of the sound. At least I got it to quit annoying me. :)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X