X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OGRE: Write your own video game

One of my friends is tinkering with this:

http://www.ogre3d.org/

It's an open-source 3D game SDK for creating your own games. It builds on Windows, Mac, and Linux. A set of features can be found here:

http://www.ogre3d.org/about/features

Lots of screenshots in the Showcase forum:

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: OGRE: Write your own video game

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    One of my friends is tinkering with this:

http://www.ogre3d.org/

It's an open-source 3D game SDK for creating your own games. It builds on Windows, Mac, and Linux. A set of features can be found here:

http://www.ogre3d.org/about/features

Lots of screenshots in the Showcase forum:

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11
    I have gotten old and lazy. I never, ever, ever want to deal with memory management again.

*Edit, or is this just a drag/drop type environment? The opening "Simple, easy to use OO interface designed" may have confused me.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Orge3D isn't exactly "drag-and-drop" (see their wiki page here). I can't think of one game engine whose design and development tools let's you drag-and-drop to design every portion of your game. At some point you'd have to do some coding. Seeing how it's a 3D engine, you'd still need a actual game engine to tie into it and then you'd need to know some programming language (usually C++) to even consider making a game.

Even GameMaker that I'm using now to create a 2-D shooter requires me to do some coding especially when their basic collision detection isn't enough for my needs. Though, GM is probably a lot better than writing my own engine in JAVA and support it all by myself.
      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 09-24-2009, 05:21 PM.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not a drag and drop programmer at all. I love my text editor. (You'll pry my Emacs from my cold, dead fingers. :D) So drag and drop is not a feature I automatically look for in a programming library. I just want the problem domain properly abstracted. Bonus points if you give me working examples. And triple bonus points if you give me the source code to everything. (It doesn't have to be source I can give away. Just source I can dig into when Things Go Wrong.)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          I'm not a drag and drop programmer at all. I love my text editor. (You'll pry my Emacs from my cold, dead fingers. :D) So drag and drop is not a feature I automatically look for in a programming library. I just want the problem domain properly abstracted. Bonus points if you give me working examples. And triple bonus points if you give me the source code to everything. (It doesn't have to be source I can give away. Just source I can dig into when Things Go Wrong.)
          I wish GameMaker availed to me it's source code. Right now I'm stuck in the middle of several custom collisions because their Wiki nor community can provide the source I want.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ahhh yes. Ogre3D. I've always wanted to play with its API for a long time now. Just didn't have the time.
            - -

BF2142 IGN: |TG-21| Rivengard
            Atlantica Online IGN: Rivengard (Lvl 70, Gunner Class)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X